Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > relative clause    

relative clause

tommy1996
Vietnam

relative clause

please tell me what is right? 

I recently visited the school( which/ where) I used to attend five years ago

thanks

21 Mar 2016      

kohai
Latvia

which

21 Mar 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

However --- 

A native English speaker would probably say "I recently visited the school I attended five years ago"  or  "I recently visited the school that I used to attend five years ago"

More info here -- http://www.writingforward.com/grammar/grammar-rules/that-and-which 

22 Mar 2016     

luglena
Ukraine

I recently visited the school  which I used to attend five years ago
I recently visited the school   where I used to study five years ago

22 Mar 2016     

SVieira
Portugal

As all of the above, I would also go for "which". And there is a very simple way to tell which one is adequate here (or in other situations that you may come across):
"Where" refers to a location, not to a thing, so you can try to replace it with "in which", and if "in which" doesn �t go, then "where" is not an option.
e.g. - "I recently visited the school in which I used to attend five years ago" - incorrect
         "I recently visited the school where I used to attend five years ago" - incorrect
         "I recently visited the school which I used to attend five years ago" - correct

"Carl and Sue are trying to book a holiday ion the hotel where they spent their honeymoon 50 years go." - correct
         "Carl and Sue are trying to book a holiday ion the hotel in which they spent their honeymoon 50 years go." - correct
         "Carl and Sue are trying to book a holiday ion the hotel which they spent their honeymoon 50 years go." - incorrect

Sandra 

22 Mar 2016     

tommy1996
Vietnam

Thanks Help me identify the mistake in this sentence: Daisy was the only one of those girls that get the schoolarship.

22 Mar 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with luglena. the verb choice �attend � makes it sound strange to to say where, but �study � works.

"An adjective clause may be introduced by the words where, when, why if these words have the meaning in which, at which, for which, etc., e.g. The place where Macbeth met the witches was a desolate heath." (A comprehensive English grammar : for foreign students, Authors: C E Eckersley; John Macaulay Eckersley, pg 328, 1960 ed., Longman)

In this case we cannot substitute where with  in which, at which, or for which. So, in my opinion, it is incorrect.

Edit: I also agree with  SVieira.  We seem to have posted at the same time .

22 Mar 2016     

teresasimoes
Portugal

Which is the right relative pronoun. One important reason is the fact that the relative pronoun has the function of object in the relative clause. Attend is a transitive verb and this is a defining relative clause.

22 Mar 2016