Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teacher burnout    

Teacher burnout

ninon100
Russian Federation

Teacher burnout

How do you fight that?
What are your symptoms?

Me: I �ve been teaching non-stop since 1997. Work with adults. Currently doing about 34-38 academic hours a week with groups and one-to-one students. Feel discouraged. Looks like I �m not getting anywhere. Hate my results. Increase my level of English and refresh my teaching methods constantly, but nothing helps.
Feel depressed at the very idea of a classroom. Try to bring in a lot of variety - never repeat the same routine, invent loads of new stuff, but feel stuck in a rut.

Has that ever happened to you? 

11 Apr 2016      

ldeloresmoore
China

WOW.  Just to clarify -- you TEACH 34-38 hours each week? PLUS preparation time?  If that �s the case, no wonder you are burned out.  Especially teaching adults.  I would be beyond burned out.

I wish I had good answers for you. The best I can offer is my sympathies :-(  

12 Apr 2016     

linda306de
Germany

I feel sorry for you. 24 hours would be a healthy limit because of prep time. You need a holiday!!! And maybe a new job.

Try to relax and do some kind of sport or physical exercise in your free time. Don �t think about your work after you leave. Try to focus on other things and totally blank out your job in your mind. 

Think of something you look forward to every day. For example I think about my upcoming holiday. And during work I think about all the nice things that I �m going to do after work.

Always do something good for yourself. Treat yourself to something special -  a walk, a piece of chocolate, nice music or whatever makes you happy. Find time for yourself where you can forget all your troubles.

Hope you can find something that helps!!

All the best!

12 Apr 2016     

mracine
Japan

I would say that most teachers can at times feel in a rut.  The rut could be cause by students not seeming to improve, the feeling that you �re not moving up in your career, or being overwhelmed with work.  It seems that you �re suffering form multiple reasons.  This could mean that you need a break, or in most cases, feel more appreciated for all the effort you put in.  

If you teach mostly adults, I would try to get multiple students to attend a event outside of class.  A meal or an activity like bowling is good.  Students will have the opportunity to practice what they learned with each other and you get to enjoy their company.  It lets both you and your students to see different sides of each other.  Sometimes it even encourages students to try harder.  

Overall, don �t worry about feeling in a rut.  Most of us feel that way at one time or another.  Just keep on working and when one of your students make a breakthrough, you �ll feel much better.

12 Apr 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Nina, I had the same problems which led me to give up teaching. I used to teach eight hours daily, including Saturdays. Total mental exhaustion. Then I noticed I was losing motivation and the students tend to notice a tired teacher no matter how you try to mask the �symptoms �. You cannot maintain quality and quantity at the same time. And consider the wear and tear of your body and mind. I guess in Russia, as well as in other post Soviet States, there is a lack of qualified teachers, which makes the burden of teaching heavier for the professional teachers. Best of luck. Giorgi

12 Apr 2016     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

You need a break! Either plan summer holidays with going somewhere (it �s better to the sea) or leave teaching for a year. I had such situation twice during my carrier. The first time I took a maternity leave, the second time I simply left the job. When I returned to work in a year I was really happy.

12 Apr 2016     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Dear All,
thank you for your sympathy. It looks like I really need a break. I �ll promise myself to relax starting the middle of June and up to the end of August - no classes!
Also, maybe you �re right about being stuck in a rut - it just goes with the job! We can �t see immediate results, but oh God how discouraging that can be! 
And some of you mentioned a diffrent job: personally I �ve been thinking about it for a while.....
What do teachers do when they give up teaching? 

12 Apr 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

I ended up in curriculum design.  But I absolutely hated it. I went from one extreme to another. Now I think I �m in the best of both worlds --- I have 12-15 class hours each week and the rest of the time (max of 40 hours) I do curriculum design.   Each breaks up the other, so less likely to get in a rut. 

12 Apr 2016     

DariaHvozdyk
Ukraine

Dear Nina,
Thank you for sharing your emotions and current state of mind and soul, as I have the same problem right now.
I am pretty exhausted and feel I am deeply stuck in a rut.
Moreover, we are passing Cambridge teaching exams this month in our language school, therefore, tiredness and depression go deeper when you realize you have no time for preparation.
God helps us!
Thank you one more time.))
Daria. 

12 Apr 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Have you tried yoga? I �ve heard it can renew your spirit.

12 Apr 2016     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Well, yoga is really popular here in Moscow, but when I tried it I found it too static for my mercurial nature. What really helps me is Nordic walking! Change of picture, fresh air, and a good audiobook in my ears :) If only I had time!

12 Apr 2016     

1    2    Next >