Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which one is correct?    

Which one is correct?

yanakoleva77
Bulgaria

Which one is correct?

Can you help me , please? Which one is correct? 

I hope I �m chosen for the school team.

1. You haven �t got a hope.

2. Congratulations! 

18 Apr 2016      

MoodyMoody
United States

The first one is closer. The second one means that you have already been chosen. However, the more idiomatic saying for the first is "You haven �t got a prayer," not hope. You could say instead, "There �s no hope for you." Speaking of hope, I hope this answers your question.

18 Apr 2016     

leaponover
United States

Moody �s information is spot on.  Less idiomatic is "You haven �t got a chance" as well.  The first one seems like a non native who tried to mimic the expression but it got lost in translation.

18 Apr 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with the others. �You haven �t got a hope in hell � is the set phrase here, if you are going to use �hope �. However, the meaning is clear, so I wouldn �t quibble too much. 

19 Apr 2016     

englishreader
Austria

Just a comment on the question:
Usually �hope � is a signal word for the will future.

Therefore the question should be:

I hope I �ll be chosen for the school team. 

19 Apr 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I would say,  "I hope I �m chosen" or "I hope they choose me." "I hope I get it [the job, the part, the prize], etc."

The present tense is used to express the near future. http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/simplepresent.html 

19 Apr 2016     

yanogator
United States

Mary is right about the simple present for the near future. Sometimes the word "hope" needs it instead of "will".

We would say "I hope I �m home when you come to visit" rather than "I hope I �ll be home when you come to visit".

With the sentence in question, though, "I �m chosen" and "I �ll be chosen" both work. 

Bruce 

19 Apr 2016     

yanakoleva77
Bulgaria

Thank you very much for the answers!

19 Apr 2016     

leaponover
United States

Just to add one more idiom to the pile, in my neck of the woods we say,

You�ve got a snowball �s chance in hell.   

19 Apr 2016