Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > The fortune teller    

The fortune teller

Maggie7
Mexico

The fortune teller

Some time ago I made a power point presentation of a reading that I took from the book called Side by Side. I used it with my students in the classroom and it went very well. I remembered having such an extraordinary class that day. My students were talking and talking as I was eliciting the sentences by just showing the pictures. Due to the great success I had had, I wanted to upload the power point presentation here, but I decided not to because although I had changed the layout, the reading and the pictures had been taken from Side by Side. Today, I saw the same reading and pictures on a printable posted here.  Even the title is pretty similar to the one in the book. The only change was that while the book uses future going to, in the printable future will is used. The printable has been downloaded over 250 times. My question is if this kind of things is allowed. I would like to read your opinions. Thanks in advanced.

Maggie

This is the link of the printable I mentioned above.

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=188599#thetop

1 Mar 2009      

Damielle
Argentina

That �s a hot issue here. In my opinion, you can take only a part (pictures or text) and design some activities on your own because if not, it �s a copy from a book although you may have retyped everything. Besides, we have to give credits the author. If I �m not mistaken, no source has been added to this worksheet.

1 Mar 2009     

freddie
Canada

I just checked my copy of Side By Side and it is identical except for `will` instead of going to. In my opinion this is not original work.

1 Mar 2009     

akva
Slovakia

Well, I have seen SO MANY copies of scanned pictures, texts, and so on.
Some contributors even state that it is their ORIGINAL work, even thought it ISN �T their work... How SHAMEFUL !!! Unhappy
I am usually very surprised in case of texts if they ARE original...

I think it is quite ok to use a copied text, BUT it is NECESSARY to WRITE THE  SOURCE, give credits to the author. I find it VERY RUDE not to include such information. Even if the contributor changes the text, the copyright IS BROKEN. Censored
If you use such worksheets, your school can have BIG PROBLEMS.

So PLEASE if you USE text from EFL books, INCLUDE the information in the DESCRIPTION of your worksheet.

You can WRITE many additional exercises, but still the text IS NOT YOUR WORK. In this case ALWAYS state that the text is not my original !!!
Most teachers cannot use "stolen texts" at school. Even though the rest of the worksheet - the exercises are original work...

I think this is REALLY BIG PROBLEM HERE !
We SHOULD WRITE at least - "This text I found on the net / this text is from some textbook, but I don �t remember which one... " It is really necessary !!! Thumbs Up

The RULE OF THIS WEBSITE is: Upload YOUR ORIGINAL WORK!!! No scans, copies !

1 Mar 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi! Good evening 2U all!

Yesterday, this issue was brought up by a highly esteemed Portuguese  author of English textbooks, who also happens to be a member od this community - "Respect for published work & authors": http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=5141

I think all users should read her post, and, if you want, my answer to her, because if the number of users assuming copied, non-original material as their own keeps growing like this, this site won �t be what victor wanted it to be. And that �s a shame!!

Have a good evening.
mena

1 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

By the way, the number of the downloads has gone up to staggering 336! No, i must correct myself, it �s already 340! People don �t read what �s on the forum, let alone the comments ... Seems nothing can be done about it.

1 Mar 2009