Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > please help me.    

please help me.

tuanvu170189
Vietnam

please help me.

Hi everyone. Please spend some seconds helping me with this sentence.

Married women think that it �s ______________ boring to be housewives all their lives.
A. so                            B. such                      C. too                           D. very
(the correct answer is C:too)

However, is it OK is "so" is correct in this sentence. Please give me some explanation. Thanks.

9 May 2016      

emin284
Turkey

I think � �so and too � � is okay for this sentence so the question is a bit problematic. Because with adjectives we can use � �too and so � �.

9 May 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

It depends on what the speaker wants to say.

Grammaticlly both so and too are fine, as emin284 said. You can also say it is very boring.  Very and so  make the statement a simple report of the housewives � feelings, while too boring suggests that the women are complaining and may object or rebell against doing their role. 

9 May 2016     

marioum
Tunisia

i think so needs that EG it �s so boring that many of them think of divorce
too or very is OK 

9 May 2016     

yanogator
United States

In formal usage, you �re right, marioum, but it is very common to use "so" as a synonym of "very" in everyday speech.

Bruce 

9 May 2016     

MoodyMoody
United States

If you �re using this question for your students, maybe a better question to ask is which word CAN"T you use in this sentence. As the others on this thread already pointed out, "such" is the only one that �s flat-out incorrect. The other three (so, too, and very) are all fine.

9 May 2016     

tuanvu170189
Vietnam

Thanks everyone. your answer is clear. I can explain it to other teachers in my school. Thanks anyway.

9 May 2016     

RuthPitts
United States

Yes, it is obvious that the correct answer is C. too. Why?
Because the sentence bears negative meaning and the author wanted to stress that  women do not like to be housewives all their life. "So � more like positive connotation, that is why TOO is correct answer.

Writer at https://essaydune.com/  -  Ruth Pitts.

17 Aug 2017