Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is this expression correct?    

Is this expression correct?

beaca
Spain

Is this expression correct?

Dear all, I was asked if this sentence was correct:  "The best is still yet to come..."

I am not sure and it sounds good to me.  Thank you in advance.
b

12 May 2016      

niksailor
Russian Federation

Don �t "still" and "yet" exclude each other? I would say "The best is yet to come...". Seems to me like a chunk to remember.

Best wishes,
Nik 

12 May 2016     

beaca
Spain

thank you!

12 May 2016     

yanogator
United States

"Still" and "yet" don �t exclude each other; they are redundant. I agree with Nik. We have an expression (and a song) "The best is yet to come", so that is probably the best choice, but "The best is still to come" is also correct and sounds natural.

Bruce 

12 May 2016     

beaca
Spain

thank you Bruce. Do you think still and yet may have been put together to emphasised? or it was just a mistake?
thanks again. 

12 May 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, I think so. We have been waiting for the best and we �re still waiting... It �s still yet to come. The others are right, though - that �s a famous little phrase. 

12 May 2016     

yanogator
United States

Lynn and I disagree on this. I think it was a mistake, but then we in the US are more averse to redundancy than the rest of the world, for the most part, but not in legal documents, where repetition is common.

Bruce 

12 May 2016     

beaca
Spain

thank you very much guys.

13 May 2016