Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > LOOKING FOR OPINIONS, PLEASE....    

LOOKING FOR OPINIONS, PLEASE....

ldeloresmoore
China

LOOKING FOR OPINIONS, PLEASE....

My youngest son graduated from University of Florida this month with two Bachelor Degrees -- One in Chinese, one in International Business.  He �s planning on coming to Beijing (where we live) in July to look for a job.   We strongly suggested that he get a TEFL so that, if nothing else, he can teach while he �s looking for something in his field. 

Here �s my question  ---  Will he be ok getting an online TEFL? Or should he hold out until he gets to Beijing and get a Celta? (There �s an authorized certification facility here.)   I have a Celta, which has been a great investment  since it is to be my only job until I retire. But he �s not planning on teaching forever. So, I �m wondering if the hassle of a Celta is worth it for him.

Opinions, anyone?  

(Incidentally, he �s also native-fluent in both English and Spanish, so more international travel is definitely an option for him. Just trying to figure out his first steps in the interim.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers from China --

Dee 

30 May 2016      

Manuhk
Hong Kong

Getting a CELTA or the 120-hour Trinity TESOL would improve your son �s chances of getting a decent job at a reputable language center/school greatly. Many employers in Hong Kong for example don �t accept an online TEFL.

30 May 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

Really? Good to know!! Thanks....

30 May 2016     

iraki0812
Greece

You never know where life will take him so I think it �s best to provide him with the best qualifications possible. In the end he may like teaching more than anything so I would suggest he try to get a CELTA in China. 

30 May 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

Yeah, that �s my thought, too.  I �m so glad you guys agree with me! LOL 

30 May 2016