Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Some more words to guess     

Some more words to guess

elderberrywine
Germany

Some more words to guess

1.      Something expensive that you enjoy but do not really need

2.      Someone you fight against or who fights against you

3.      A border of wood or metal that holds a picture, a window or a door in position

4.      To say or decide what you think is true, without being sure about it, like in a quiz

5.      One of the many hard parts that form the skeleton of a body.

6.      Not allowed

7.      Full of courage

8.      A boat that makes short regular journeys between two places

9.      A small piece of cloth or paper that you blow your nose with

10. The special taste of food or drink, for example strawberry or vanilla in ice-cream

1 Jun 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

1.A luxury
2.enemy
3. frame
4. guess
5. bone
6. forbidden
7.Brave
8.ferry
9. hanky (handkerchief)
10.flavour 

1 Jun 2016     

yanogator
United States

2 could also be "foe"

For #9, in the US, if it is paper, it is a tissue, but a handkerchief/hanky if it is cloth.

Bruce 

1 Jun 2016     

elderberrywine
Germany

Bruce and cunliffe, you are invaluable !!

1 Jun 2016     

Anna P
Brazil

I love your word riddles. I turn them into written exercises for my students.
THANKS! 

2 Jun 2016     

kwsp
United States

I like these riddles, too. I think they would make great crossword puzzles. Thank you for posting these questions!

2 Jun 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Agree kwsp. I imagine the definition -> word pattern might get a bit tedious after a while. There�s no reason why there shouldn�t be a word puzzle within a word puzzle to further stimulate the little grey cells and add some variety. Once you get the hang of them, cryptic crosswords - very popular in the UK � are great fun. One of the more obvious words glossed above might have the clue: being able to face and withstand danger or pain could be a verb (5 letters). Any ideas?

Well, the first part is the definition (up to �pain �) and the second part indicates an anagram of �a verb� (it "could be..."). So the answer is....?

It helps, of course, to know some of the conventions (anagrams are often introduced by phrases like could be, confused, mixed up, possibly etc, while certain words with common abbreviations are often used for letters - a thousand is either �M� or �K�, for example). 

And another one from the list above (shouldn�t be too difficult for our Britophile members): QI�s Stephen is interrupted by the Queen to find a way to transport passengers across a stretch of water (5 letters).

They�re old ones, I know, but two of my all-time favourite cryptic clues are:

HIJKLMNO - we need it (5 letters)

Farewell to the French who are about to depart (5 letters) ~ as a former French teacher, this is my personal favourite.

2 Jun 2016     

elderberrywine
Germany

Thanks for abiding with me and  my word riddles.

They are for a game in which one person reads out the definition and others have to find the word. So the sentences need to be short, simple, and should not contain three other unknown words that destroy my students � motivation, 

2 Jun 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, I understand that. I was simply taking kwsps suggestion and giving it a wee jaunt up the the ESLP catwalk, see what others think. A tentative alternative, if you like.

2 Jun 2016     

yanogator
United States

Thanks for sharing those clues, Alex. I am a big fan of cryptic crosswords, and have been for about 35 years. I �ve tried the London Times crosswords, but they are full of references that aren �t familiar to us over here. In your clue, I know Stephen Fry because of his appearances on Whose Line Is It Anyway? (but I don �t know what QI is)

I like the misleading aspect of your last clue, because "of the French" could be part of either half of the clue.

Anyway, most people without the British/Scots twisted sense of humo(u)r (and I use the word "twisted" with great respect) usually don �t enjoy the cryptic clues.

Bruce 

3 Jun 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Thanks, Bruce. QI is the name of a long-running comedy quiz show he hosted until earlier this year. 

And you�re on the right track with the last clue; both the definition and part of the clue is in "Farewell to the French". Au is French for "to the", and it is "about" (i.e. around) a word meaning "to depart" (a euphemism for die). Fit it all together and you get our borrowed French word for farewell: adieu (a-die-u) ~ although I�m sure you worked that out already.

I guess you�re right about the twisted sense of humour. I�ve been doing these crosswords since my schooldays and it�s got to the stage where I always start on the delightful Private Eye crossword � where part of the joy is that many of the clues and solutions are as obscene as they are clever � before I even check the cartoons or articles.

Alex 

3 Jun 2016     

1    2    Next >