Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Advice    

Advice

carinita
Argentina

Advice

Hi, colleagues! Is it ok to make it clear that I am a substitute teacher in a letter to parents?? Please, answer asap (I �m typing the letter) 
P.S. I work at secondary level. 

2 Jun 2016      

slkchina
China

Instead of referring to yourself as a substitute teacher, what about saying "I will be your child �s teacher until the end of the term". I think that gives you a little more authority in what you might be trying to convey.

2 Jun 2016     

leaponover
United States

If you are teaching the same class for an extended time I wouldn �t classify you as a substitute teacher.  You could perhaps say you are an interim teacher.  I actually wouldn �t think there would be a problem at all with you calling yourself a teacher. In America we call them permanent subs,   as they are teaching the same class for the rest of the school year.  

2 Jun 2016     

carinita
Argentina

3 Jun 2016     

WanderingJoe
Nicaragua

When you are in the classroom, you are the teacher.

A doctor doesn �t say "I �m a replacement / substitute doctor"....so neither should we.

People respect our profession little enough as it is. 

Be proud, you are the teacher, and that �s that.

3 Jun 2016     

WanderingJoe
Nicaragua

on the other hand,

you could easily say " I am filling in for Mr Smith for a few weeks", and that would be ok.

The word subsitute somehow makes it sound like an inferior replacement, until the good one comes back.

I think it might be a good idea, to remain a bit detached also, if you are temporary.

You can do your best, but remember you are not responsible for all the problems. 

3 Jun 2016     

WanderingJoe
Nicaragua

ps -

if there ARE any problems, that is.

Meantime, you can take responsibility for ALL the successes,

;-)

3 Jun 2016