Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > womens mens??    

womens mens??

elt_yasmin
Turkey

womens mens??

Hello everyone,
I �d like to ask especially to natine speakers about the usage of these words ; womens mens. Shopping sites generally use these words. Can anyone give me an explanation of this?
Thanks already. 

8 Jul 2016      

yanogator
United States

They should be possessive, but the world is becoming ignorant of the basics of grammar. They are short for "women �s clothes" or "women �s sizes" and "men �s clothes" or "men �s sizes".

I hope that is what you wanted to know.

Bruce 

8 Jul 2016     

12bprecise
Mexico

Adding to Bruce �s excellent answer, it would be incorrect to simply add an "s" to these words since that would be a plural suffix, and they are already plural. "Men" and "women" have an irregular plural form, like "brethren" and "children."

9 Jul 2016     

elt_yasmin
Turkey

Thanks a lot. Actually I thought like that but was not sure about it.
I still doesn �t seem �correct �. 

9 Jul 2016     

yanogator
United States

It shouldn �t seem correct, because it isn �t. Unfortunately, it is becoming common, though.

Bruce 

10 Jul 2016     

dillydi
United Kingdom

They are the plural of man and woman, hence the use to describe more than one man and likewise woman in relation to being more than one item of clothing for each.  Hope that helps....

12 Jul 2016