Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > PLEASE HELP ME    

PLEASE HELP ME

maryano30
Peru

PLEASE HELP ME

Please, someone could explain me the difference between START and BEGIN. This is correct: Have the parade began? It started two hours ago.
Thanks in advance.
Have a nice day! 
Warm regards 

Maria 

21 Jul 2016      

domif
France

We can use the verbs begin and start to mean the same thing but begin is more formal than start.
             When did you begin learning English?  The meeting didn�t start until 9 pm.

We use start, but not begin, to talk about machines

21 Jul 2016     

FrauSue
France

It �s also worth remembering that the noun from begin is BEGINNING. (Let �s begin at the beginning.) However, the noun from start is START. (Let �s start at the start.)

In my opinion, beginning is less physical than start. At the beginning of the story, the bears go for a walk. The cars lined up at the start, ready to race.

Your example sentence should read: Has the parade begun? You could also say: Has the parade started? 

21 Jul 2016     

FrauSue
France

It �s also worth remembering that the noun from begin is BEGINNING. (Let �s begin at the beginning.) However, the noun from start is START. (Let �s start at the start.)

In my opinion, beginning is less physical than start. At the beginning of the story, the bears go for a walk. The cars lined up at the start, ready to race.

Your example sentence should read: Has the parade begun? You could also say: Has the parade started? 

21 Jul 2016