Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with passive voice    

Help with passive voice

Tere-arg
Argentina

Help with passive voice

Hi ...

Many people think Steve stole the money.

Steve is thought to have stolen the money....is the one I would have made
 Steve is believed to have stolen the money...is the one given as a correct answer

. Any light on the subject?

Thanks in advance

Tere 

31 Jul 2016      

dnmchau
Vietnam

I think two options are correct answers.

31 Jul 2016     

marios
Italy

I think that both options are correct but the meaning may be slightly different, in the same way that  �think � and �believe � have different meanings. Maybe, in the first one, we emphasise that people are under the impression that Steve has stolen the money, whereas, in the second, they are more certain.  However, I think that the second one would be more common to say.

31 Jul 2016     

Natyk2010
Moldova

Many people think that money was stolen by Steve- is also possible and is more apropriate !

31 Jul 2016     

Tere-arg
Argentina

It is true that the second one sounds more common, but is there any reaon why the first one should be incorrect?

The sentence is part of a First Certificate exam and the only correct option given is with "believe", which, in my opinion, , would change the meaning.
People do not believe, but think....

Am I wrong?. 

31 Jul 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Both are frequently used."is thought to have" returned about 34.200.000 results and "is believed to have" about 57.800.000 results.  In this case believed and thought both mean that we think something has happened, but we have no proof of it. In other words, believe does not refer to a belief in God, but is just another way of saying think. Other synonyms that can be used  are "is considered to have", "is said to have" "is reported to have". http://www.grammarbank.com/it-is-said-that.html shows possible grammatical constructions for building the passive depending on the verb and tense we begin with: (present simple or persent perfect).

1 Aug 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://www.eoioviedo.org/anacarmen/passive/Passive.pdf may also be helpful.

1 Aug 2016     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Thanks everybody!

1 Aug 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with you, Tere. Since "think" is the verb in the original sentence, it should also be the verb in the passive sentence.

Bruce 

2 Aug 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with you Tere, as well. Certainly both are correct, but I don �t see any need to change the verb.  

2 Aug 2016     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Thank  you both,  Bruce and  cunliffe!     

2 Aug 2016