Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > British usage in greeting    

British usage in greeting

redcamarocruiser
United States

British usage in greeting

hi all,

I am wondering if one can call a man �Love" in British English, as in the sentence,  “Morning love, it’s nice again isn’t?” or is it clear that a woman is being addressed? 

11 Aug 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi redcam. In my neck of the woods, (Northern England) everybody calls everybody �luv � - definitely not gender-specific. So I would call my window cleaner - it �s a bloke - �luv � and he says the same to me. It is informal, obviously and I wouldn �t address the doctor, for example as �luv �. I think that �s fairly standard throughout the country actually, apart from areas where the preferred epithet is �duck � or �hen � or whatever and they are also used for men as well as women. At least I think you can call a man �hen � - I �d better check that one!
Edit: I�d better add - men don�t call other men �love�. 

11 Aug 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Thank you for that  detailed explanation, Cunliffe! Espeically the last sentence that men don �t call men love, has helped me understand what I needed to know.    

11 Aug 2016