Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > IT CANīT BE TRUE!!!    

IT CANīT BE TRUE!!!

pfreites
Argentina

IT CANīT BE TRUE!!!

I really donīt know how to call it! Yesterday I saw a great worksheet named "IN MY BEDROOM" that called my attention. IīVE SEEN THE BEAUTIFUL PICTURE BEFORE ON A BOOK. I couldnīt find the name of the book (I think it was "English together" or "You and Me") but I found a photocopy of the picture, and itīs the same as the worksheet!!! Whatīs going on here? Has anybody else noticed it? Is it OK to copy and paste pictures from books? Because if so... Why are we spending a lot of time in creating our works?
 What irritated me most was that TODAY IīVE FOUND THAT THIS SLOVENIAN ŋteacher? HAS REMOVED THIS WORKSHEET AFTER GETTING MOR THAN 200 DOWNLOADS, AND I FOUND ANOTHER WORKSHEET, BY THIS PERSON, WITH SIMILAR NUMBER OF DOWNLOADS, NAMED "WHO LOVES WHO", THAT HAS BEEN TAKEN FROM THE "TEACHERīS MAGAZINE".
This person has been so "lucky" as to get over 77600 points with works just scanned from books.
And to think that we spend hours and hours working hard and get few downloads because our ws are not as attractive as those taken from books.
                                                                                                             Thumbs Down

3 Mar 2009      

source
Turkey

if she had deleted it, the 200 points will be also deleted...

3 Mar 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

I feel embarrassed when I see pictures scanned from books too. It īs quite OK for me than tasks are added to them (if they are not rewritten from books in different font). But sometimes there are only nice pictures and that īs it. I report them if I know the source...

Are we allowed to scan  pictures from books? For me it seems not very fair.
What do you think?

3 Mar 2009     

neslijan
Turkey

Hi all!
I īm new to this fascinating web site, which, I think, is really helpful for ESL teachers around the world. On the other hand I īm a bit confused about the authorization of both the texts and the visual materials.
First of all, is it OK to use pictures which are in public domain? If not, how am I supposed to draw all that stuff with my poor drawing skill??? (Not every English teacher is a good artist, I guess )
Second, It īs not easy to write a suitable reading passage for each topic. As long as we mention the source I suggest we use reading passages written by native speakers. !! No plagiarism here.!!
Third, I uploaded my first worksheet yesterday, I haven īt earned any points although it has already been downloaded 6 times by now. (Am I missing to do sth?)

3 Mar 2009     

piretraig
Estonia

Neslijan, you will get the points tomorrow. Be patient.

3 Mar 2009     

pfreites
Argentina

neslijan, what you say is all right, but at least you should try to draw pictures yourself, and if you canīt donīt add pictures to your ws. What do you think? And with regards to texts, if you use your imagination it isnīt very difficult o write about YOUR HUSBANDīS OR SISTERīS ROUTINE  and then ask or answer...
But do not cheat  people making them believe you are genius.

3 Mar 2009     

isaserra
Portugal

Good night,

I really don īt know what to think about this matter, because last year I left a comment on worksheet that had a scanned picture from a book and the exercise was the same as in the book... The only difference was the layout of the box where the words were put...
Nevertheless, I was criticised by a ESL member and by the author of the worksheet...She said that she couldn īt draw, so she had to use pictures...
OK!!! I īm not against using pictures scanned from books, but I think we could change the exercise in which we are going to use it...

So I still have this question in my mind..... If we use a scanned picture from a book is it a stolen worksheet? I think that some kind of boundaries should be established....

Hugs for everyone...

3 Mar 2009     

neslijan
Turkey

Well... I īm sure you very well know that a worksheet without pictures would not capture students ī attention as much as one with pictures on it.  It īs understood that some people use this site for very personal purposes (haven īt figured out why they do this though) and use the copy paste technique to generate new material each time. However I strongly favor using public domain pictures if you can īt draw well and making use of already existing texts and pictures if you mention your source and prepare the exercises yourselves. English teachers have been doing this since the very beginning of this profession, as far as I know. :)

3 Mar 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Preferites,
I dont know what you mean when you say we should ī īdraw the pictures ī ī of our workhseets and create our own texts. In my opinion, I dont think it is wrong not a crime to use a drawing/picture which can be found on google. I do this all the time. I love drawing, Im good at drawing, I cant scan them because I dont have a scaner, also the quality of the picture wont be as good as the ones found on google images.
THIS IS NOT CHEATING!!!!
My texts are usually texts taken from internet which I adapt them to have the grammar structure I need. And I also add some paragraphs of my own. And made a story-poem.
Is This really cheating????

I dont know what is wrong. I do agree that maybe we could add a note giving reference of the source.
Im confused ...very confused Stern Smile

4 Mar 2009