Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help plz    

Help plz

caren_630
Egypt

Help plz

Would somebody help me explaining the following; A pilot �s plane got stuck in a black blizzard-a-dust, a thousands of feet up. He bailed out. Had to shovel his way clear to the ground. When he got down, he carved a car for himself, blizzard black dust, and drove away.

15 Sep 2016      

yanogator
United States

First, this is incorrectly copied from Drylongso by Virginia Hamilton.  http://www.apelslice.com/books/0-00-BRITE/0-328-03939-X/unit2.htm. It should say "thousands of feet" without "a", and toward the end, the phrase is "blizzard black of dust".

This is what we call a "tall tale", which is a story made of extreme exaggeration.  I �m not sure the term "blizzard-a-dust" actually exists. It might be a regional usage for a severe dust storm. I guess it �s a slight mis-pronunciation of "blizzard of dust". I remember that in John Steinbeck �s novel The Grapes of Wrath, the character named Rose of Sharon is called Rose-a-Sharn.

In this story, there is a dust storm so severe that it becomes solid in the air and a plane gets stuck in it. The pilot jumps from the plane (bails out), but he is stuck in the black dust, too, so he has to use a shovel to work his way to the ground. Once he �s down, he carves a car out of the black dust and drives away.

Bruce 

15 Sep 2016     

caren_630
Egypt

Thx Bruce But I still cannot get the humor in it.

15 Sep 2016     

Jayho
Australia

You have to look at it in context.

I had a quick read here and they are talking about the drought and all the dust everywhere. There is so much dust as a result of the drought. Dryslongo then tells that  joke and it is funny because the reader can then imagine just how much dust there. It fits into the context set beforehand. Of course, this cannot really happen in real life, but it emphasises just how much dust there is and the characters all laugh it. And I had a chuckle too.

Exaggeration is a literary technique but in fact we all use it in everyday conversation to make our stories more interesting or to emphasise something.

Cheers

Jayho

15 Sep 2016     

caren_630
Egypt

Thx a lot Jayho

16 Sep 2016     

caren_630
Egypt

Thx a lot Jayho

16 Sep 2016