Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabular and grammar queries     

vocabular and grammar queries

monder78
Poland

vocabular and grammar queries

Hello fellow  teachers,

1.         I am a bit confused  about the word LAST . Let  me  take the liberty  of asking you whether we can use LAST in a sentence like this one  : 
This state of affairs has been lasting / since  2013.  or perhaps  has lasted  ? I have been reading a few articles and  I came across  the  continuous form so  now   please dispel my doubs.

2.   Another doubt of mine is  about the proper word  for a lesson with a form teacher or  a form tutor  ( a teacher leader in the class )  and all learners  when they discuss current issues , some problems  which can come up  and look for their  solutions etc.  ?

3. What is the word for  students �behaviour   for which they  are evaluated with a  mark and  the mark is a part of GPA ? 
4 .Is there a word in English for a physician who examines  successful job applicant  before he or she is allowed to start his  job , basically  in search of  some health  contraindications to carry out  this type  of  job.
Thank you  for  help 

20 Sep 2016      

yanogator
United States

I can help you with your first question (not doubt). I wish you had given us examples of "last" in a continuous tense, so I could be more specific.

As you are aware, "last" isn �t usually used in continuous tenses, but it isn �t impossible.

Our weekly meetings have been lasting longer and longer lately.
  Although your example is also present perfect continuous, there �s a big difference. In your example, it is one event that is lasting, and the continuous doesn �t work there. It definitely has to be "has lasted". In my example, it is a number of events, each of them lasting longer, so as a group they "have been lasting longer".

The flavor of my chewing gum is lasting longer than usual today. 
  Since the present continuous is for things that are happening now, even "last" works in present continuous, if you are talking about a current situation.
This meeting is lasting too long. Let �s at least take a break.

Future continuous:
 You will notice that our sessions will be lasting longer from now on.
When we use continuous tenses, it is usually to emphasize an activity over time - both the activity and the time involved being important. My last example above is used to emphasize the sessions themselves, as well as the time involved. I could have said, "You will notice that our sessions will last longer from now on", which is more giving simple information.

Bruce 

20 Sep 2016     

monder78
Poland

Thank you as always you are very explicit and detailed. Excellent answer :)

21 Sep 2016     

FrauSue
France

For your second question, I would suggest:
tutor group / registration group (UK)
homeroom (USA)

We use these phrases without "class" - e.g. "I have tutor group from 9-10 on a Monday morning." 

For your fourth question, in British English we talk about "having a medical." - "I need to have a medical before I start the job." I �m not sure what the doctor who carries out that examination would be called.  The works doctor? It �s usually just a general practitioner (GP) who does it.

21 Sep 2016     

Mr. TITA
Morocco

Quesion 4: conduct

Question 5: in terms of psychology there is the psychometristThe discipline is psychometry or psychometrics.

22 Sep 2016