Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Scaned pictures    

Scaned pictures

Alenka
Slovenia

Scaned pictures

Hi friends,
I am really confused. Advice me, please, what should I do? When I joined this ESLcomunity, the rules weren �t so clearly difenited, as they are now. I have seen many worksheets with scanned pictures and I thought it would be aloud. And I have done the same. I have drown quite any picture by myself and I should delete quite all my contributions. It would be hard for me, because I put in a lot of effort and time.

3 Mar 2009      

alex1968
Greece

I think it �s ok if the pics are scanned or taken from the net, as long as you create your own excercises...I personally get all my clip art off the net.
Besides Pika...you certainly put them to good use and we can see all the effort and time that goes into your work...I �d hate for you to delete you ws!!!

3 Mar 2009     

Mishuna
Argentina

DO NOT DELETE YOUR PIECES OF ART!!!!
That �s all  have to say....
Keep on working Pika...your work is amazing and you not just upload scanned pictures...you create from them..

3 Mar 2009     

Andreia Henrique
Portugal

Dear Pika,

I believe that we �re not supposed to create our own cliparts. Some of us maybe have the talent to draw and paint the images we use, but most of us look it up online and try to adapt it according to our needs at a specific time.
If you �re thinking about the delete option, please, reconsider!

Remeber this:
You �re also an artist when giving others clipart an educational purpose!

Besides that, you can always mention the clipart source and give the author its credit.

Hug and keep up your good work!

3 Mar 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I �ve always loved you worksheets  they are  unique to your style.  I don �t think you should delete any of your worksheets, like the others have said just put in the source.  

3 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

My opinion is, if we scan pictures and related texts and upload them without adding anything, then the material is not original and shouldn �t be uploaded.

If we only use a clip art or a picture from a book which we base our activities on, then it �s fine. (and give credit to the artist if possible)

My pictures fill up the least space on my worksheets. They are often used to re-enforce learning or to help illustrate the text and activities I have made myself.

If you have written the texts to the pictures in your mini books - then it is just fine.
But if they are  scanned, both pictures and texts, from another source, with no contribution from your own hand - then I guess they would belong to the person who made them.

No one expects us to be artists!

3 Mar 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, Alenka
So nice to meet you here in the forum.
Let me say that I love your printables, first.
Second, let me say that, if I do admire your work, it never occurred to me that you could be an artist, drawing or painting, so I have always thought that you got your pictures somewhere, in fact, AS EVERYONE ONE AND EACH ONE OF US DOES, except from  " ? " I can �t remember,( so sorry ) that has had some works uploaded with her own drawings.

As things go now, here in ESL with so, but so many stolen works, your question is completely out of QUESTION.
You get pictures ( wonderful ones ), you build a whole, fully and interesting work, where pictures are but a small part; the real work, that �s creating English printables for our students, that is the real work you do.You do and we download. Thanks, again.

Keep doing your wonderful printables, don �t listen to the ones who are always round the corner, ready to let you down.
YOU ARE ONE OF OUR STARS

Hugs
olindalima

4 Mar 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Hello all,

I think there is nothing wrong with using texts and pictures taken from the web as long as we add some productive excersises and make it useful for the meaningful learning of our students.
I use texts from the web and none of the pictures I have on my worksheets were made by me. I dont know how to create drawings on the computer. I do change it sometimes :add or take some things on paint and picture package. � �Im not so good with computers � �
The same with the texts, I always change many things because I need to adapt them to the grammar feature I want my students to work on. But some of those havent been created by me, I mean the actual idea and meaning of the text.
The teachers here always seem to love making RULES to this site eveyrday, now it seems to be proposed that each member creates their own drawings which is � �too much � � in my personal opinion.
Nevertheless, adding the source saying something like:
> This text was adapted from XXXXX.
> Pictures were taken from XXXX
> Thanks to the author XXXX who is the owner o this poem/text.
etc... should be the best thing to do from now on, so we avoid problems even legal problems.
But what I dont think is right whatsoever is that members here scan, copy, � �steal � � excersises from other sources that are not theirs. This is something that should be mentioned and banned !!
The whole worksheet making process will be reflected on the way the topic is introduced, the excersises the teacher choose and create , the arranging of them...etc.

� �Let �s not forget that CREATIVITY should be one of the main characteristics of a teacher � �

Miss Melissa. Hug

4 Mar 2009     

Alenka
Slovenia

Dear teachers, thank you so much for your well-meaning replays, suggestion, advices and encouragement. How to do with the pictures in worksheets has ever been a big question for me since I have joined the ESLprintables. And I am really grateful to each of you who has helped me to clarify it.

4 Mar 2009