Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > There is + uncountable nouns    

There is + uncountable nouns

mjmo67
Iran

There is + uncountable nouns

Hi dear colleagues,

I �d like to know your opinions about the negative form of the following sentence.

" There is water in the bottle."

You know when " There is" is followed by an uncountable noun, we usually use " There is not any " or " There is no " as the negative form.

Now my question is if we can use " there is not " instead of " There is not any " or " There is no " in this case and if so what difference in meaning would that make?

I �m looking forward to your answers!

Javad

25 Sep 2016      

yanogator
United States

I would say that "there is not water in the bottle" is grammatically correct, but completely non-native in its sound. Now, with the contraction, "There isn �t water in the bottle" can be used in some situations, but not as widely as "There isn �t any water in the bottle". Unfortunately, I can �t think of times I would use "There isn �t water in the bottle". Maybe others can help.

Bruce 

26 Sep 2016     

12bprecise
Mexico

I agree with Bruce. I �d add that you could say "There is no water in the bottle" but only in special circumstances, say, if someone insists that there really is water in the bottle and you get kind of irritated. It �d sound pretty emphatic.

26 Sep 2016     

mjmo67
Iran

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it!

27 Sep 2016