Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Difference between need to and have to    

Difference between need to and have to

Reale
Netherlands

Difference between need to and have to

Hello teachers,

Can you please tell me the difference between need to and have to?
I �ve read in grammar books that need to is used at the time of speaking.  But have to can also.  Need to means something is necessary. Does have to have a stronger, more forceful meaning than need to?  Please help me to understand.  thanks in advance.

30 Sep 2016      

yanogator
United States

Hello, Reale,
I think of "need to" as being more internally motivated. As you said, it indicates a necessity.
I need to lose weight.
I need to get these papers graded before school.
You need to stop bullying your classmates.
I �m sure that the Dutch sentences are about the same. 

"Have to" is approximately the same as "must". Generally there are consequences of some sort if the thing isn �t done. 
I have to lose weight (or there will be serious health consequences).
I have to get these papers graded before school  (or my students will be disappointed).
You have to stop bullying your classmates (or you will be in big trouble).

Sometimes it is weaker, though, being more literal -- to have something to do. It is still something that must be done, but the urgency isn �t there.

I have to go to the store.
I"ll be home soon. I have to grade a few papers before I leave.
I can �t come to your party. I have to go out of town for a few days.

Bruce 

30 Sep 2016     

Reale
Netherlands

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for you quick answer.

Could I say must,  need to and have to have similar meanings in positive sentences?

I must stop smoking. (i want to)
I have to stop smoking. (because of health consequences)
I need to stop smoking. (because of health consequences...at the time of speaking.  The doctor recently told me to stop) 

In negative sentences don �t have to and don �t need to, mean something is  not necessary.  But mustn �t means something is forbidden?

Reale

30 Sep 2016     

shahid15177
Pakistan

Need to is used to something is necessary but have to is used when something must be done means compelling condition.

30 Sep 2016     

yanogator
United States

Hello, Reale,
Yes, they are similar, but a native speaker knows exactly which one to use in any situation.
For something mandatory, we (in the US, at least) tend to use "have to" rather than "must", except in very formal writing.

If I say, "I must stop smoking",  I am probably speaking to myself, sort of as a reminder or as a motivation.
If I say, "I have to stop smoking", I am probably telling someone that the doctor has ordered it.
You are right that "need to" is often used at the time of speaking, much as my "must" example above, as a reminder or a motivation. That isn �t always the case, though.
If I say, "I need to stop smoking", it isn �t necessarily a decision at the time of speaking. It is rather a general statement of something I am acknowledging as a necessity.
As a "time of speaking" example, there �s "I need to brush my teeth". This indicates that I just realized it, and it needs to be done now.
If I just ended a major coughing fit, then "I need to stop smoking" would be a "time of speaking" example, too.

Ah, what a wonderful language English is for exploring. I �m glad I �m a native speaker, so I don �t have to learn it! I really enjoy these opportunities to explain some of the finer points, because I have to stop and analyze the question before I can even consider giving an answer. Sometimes I don �t answer a question here because I don �t have time to do the exploring I need for a "Bruce answer".

Bruce 

30 Sep 2016     

Reale
Netherlands

dear Bruce,

Thank you for your reply.

A very common use of must is a logical conclusion.  If it �s Wednesday morning he must be at his English lesson.
                                                                                  That must be Alex at the door.  (Alex is expected)

One last question over need to and have to.  If someone has had an accident.  Would I say
                                                                                                                          1.  "We need to call an ambulance."
                                                                                                                           2.  "We have to call an ambulance."
1 or 2 or both are acceptable?

1 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

Both are definitely correct, but "need" is more common here, because it is a necessity.

If there are minor injuries, but an ambulance is needed to fulfill some kind of obligation (legal or ethical). then you would say "We have to call an ambulance".

Bruce 

1 Oct 2016