Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which one?    

which one?

customer
Italy

which one?

Hi dear colleagues,

I need your help �cause I �m not so sure about this choice:

• my favourite team �s poster
  • the poster of my favourite team 
  • my favourite team poster 
Which is more natural, or... incorrect?

Thanks a lot 

19 Oct 2016      

perfect77
Turkey

correct ones: 

• the poster of my favourite team
  • my favourite team poster

wrong one:

• my favourite team ´s poster

19 Oct 2016     

FrauSue
France

I would only use "A poster of my favourite team."

With the possessive �s, it seems that the poster belongs to your favourite team (rather than showing them).

I would use the name of the team before "poster" as in "This is my Manchester United poster," but to me it sounds a little odd to say "My favourite team poster." People could understand that to mean that you have many team posters, of which this one is your favourite (poster).

"A poster of my favourite team" is the most unambiguous choice. 

19 Oct 2016     

customer
Italy

thanks a lot for your answers!

19 Oct 2016     

douglas
United States

Actually, "my favorite team ´s poster" is NOT wrong either, it �s just a less common use.

It �s kind of like saying "Dark side of the Moon is Pink Floyd �s best album."  The album was put-out by Pink Floyd, it is their album.

If your team sees the poster on your wall, they could say "Look, she has our poster on the wall!" (it �s their poster, so possessive with apostrophe s is possible)

19 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Douglas (We Yanks stick together!). FrauSue is right about how "My favorite team poster" sounds.

Bruce 

19 Oct 2016     

customer
Italy

Thanks to the American colleagues too! Mother tongue teachers � opinions are always welcome... 

19 Oct 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Fr. Sue, Bruce, and Douglas.

"My favorite team ´s poster" would be my first choice, if no context is given.

" This is my favorite team �s poster" (said when viewing it with someone, emphasis on favorite team). 

What do you want for your birthday? "A poster of my favorite team." (Emphasis is on poster)

19 Oct 2016