Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help needed!    

Help needed!

shigu
Ukraine

Help needed!

Please could you tell me if both sentences are correct

There is a lot of books on the desk.

There are a lot of books on the desk.

Thanks! 

Thanks!

6 Nov 2016      

Pedro14
Spain

Hi there,

I �m not a native speaker so wait for their answer but as far as I know the second one is grammatically correct. I hear many times native speakers using the first one though. I guess it is because of the first letter - the indefinite article "a" - the word "a lot of" is composed of. Hope it helps.

6 Nov 2016     

Mr. TITA
Morocco

Dear Shigu,
"There is a lot of books on the desk" is completely false. "There is" can be followed by a singular noun only. example: there is a lot of water in the bottle. there is a pencil on the table. there is much jam in the jar. Meanwhile, "there are" is always followed by a plural noun like: there are a lot of papers in the folder. there are many people in the street. notice that the word "there" is not the subject of "is" or "are"; the real subject is the noun that comes after verb "be". we can say otherwise: a lot of books are there on the desk, and a lot of water is there in the bottle.
Hope this helps you.

6 Nov 2016     

shigu
Ukraine

Thanks a lot.

6 Nov 2016