Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a question     

a question

Mouna mch
Algeria

a question

I have a question if you please, Which on is correct and why : Are you going to strike tomorrow? Or Are you going to go on strike tomorrow? Thank you

20 Nov 2016      

MoodyMoody
United States

I personally would use the second,  "Are you going to go on strike tomorrow?" Strike by itself can also mean to hit something, so "Are you going to strike tomorrow?" is more ambiguous. You could be referring to striking against a company, but you could also mean strike a blow against something, or even roll a strike while bowling, depending on context.

20 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with MoodyMoody, except if the question were addressed to the head of the union, talking about the whole group, I think "Are you going to strike tomorrow" might be more common. Also, another option is "Are you going on strike tomorrow"?

Bruce 

20 Nov 2016     

Mouna mch
Algeria

Thank you both for your answers ...really grateful :)

20 Nov 2016     

monder78
Poland

Democratization has brought workers the right to strike and join a trade union.
We �re striking for better pay and improved safety standards.
sentences taken  from  The Cambridge  Dictionary  
Actually, both are correct  ,the  phrase go on strike  is  more formal  and probably is more likely to be   followed by  to -infinitive  
strike  +  for  
Obviously  the context in which the sentence is said  reveals the real meaning of the strike.

21 Nov 2016