Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > possessive adjective    

possessive adjective

fefa101
Tunisia

possessive adjective

hi! I am confused.. What is the correct alternative ( the right possessive adjective) in this sentence? and why? thank you!
"For those who have not been registred with the social welfare Department yet, I will help them fill up the necessary forms before submitting them for (his / its/ their) immidiate attention." 

25 Nov 2016      

douglas
United States

their (plural)

25 Nov 2016     

FrauSue
France

I think that "their" would be used in everyday spoken English, to refer to the people who work in the Department, but "its" could arguably be acceptable too as it refers to the Department as a whole.

25 Nov 2016     

fefa101
Tunisia

thank you! i wanted  to know whether the possessive adjective refers to "welfare Department" or to " the people who will register" or to "the forms"

25 Nov 2016     

FrauSue
France

Yes, it means "for the attention of the department." 

25 Nov 2016     

fefa101
Tunisia

thankyou!!

25 Nov 2016     

fefa101
Tunisia

thankyou!!

25 Nov 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

"Fill up" is wrong in American English.  We fill out forms.  We fill up a gas tank (in the car).

27 Nov 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In English English, it �s fill in a form and it �s for its attention.

28 Nov 2016