Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Present Perfect or Present Perfect Continuous?    

Present Perfect or Present Perfect Continuous?

sashulochka
Ukraine

Present Perfect or Present Perfect Continuous?

And again I need your help, dear colleagues. The sentence is "So, what have you been doing/done recently? Anything interesting?" Which variant is better? And why? Thanks a lot for your answers.

28 Nov 2016      

joannajs
Poland

First option definitely. The meaning is different with both: the first (what have you been doing?) asks about certain time period up till now, not necessarily about finished things. It emphasizes duration. The interlocutor doesn �t have any idea about the other person �s activities (hence "Anything interesting?") so s/he is not asking about any particular "deeds". 
The second question is about a particular thing the person might have done/achieved. In my view the following question excludes this option.

best, joanna 

28 Nov 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Joanna. The second option does not work.

Also, "What have you done recently?" can be negative instead of neutral.  You can have the scenario that someone, who you rarely see wants a favor from you. He reminds you of all the favors he did for you (in the distant past).  You say, "Yes, but what have you done [for me] recently?"

28 Nov 2016     

alien boy
Japan

In Australian vernacular either would be fine to say, and the difference in meaning would only be a case of splitting hairs.

�been doing � vs �done � would only be interpreted as incomplete vs completed activities by someone being pedantic.
Negative connotations would depend on how something is said in this case, rather than the actual expression being used. 

Cheers,
AB 

28 Nov 2016