Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > when or while    

when or while

miyoko71
Morocco

when or while

when I was reading the novel,the light  went off.
Isn �t it better to say: �The light went off;while I was reading the novel �
we often say that with �when � we use the past simple and not the past continuous 
thx for your help 

7 Dec 2016      

monkeymemild
Thailand

I �m teaching my students about this topic. And I agree with you. We often use �when � before Past Simple Tense and �while � before Past Continuous Tense. So, I �d be better to say �The light went out while I was reading the novel/ While I was reading the novel, the light went out. � (For me, I use went out not went off) Hope this can help  :)

7 Dec 2016     

miyoko71
Morocco

thank you

7 Dec 2016     

yanogator
United States

You �re both right. The difference is whether the second action is an interruption (which would use the past continuous) or just a sequence of events (simple past).

When I opened the door, the cat jumped off the table.  (simple sequence of events)

While I was opening the door, the cat ran between my legs.  (interruption)

Bruce 

7 Dec 2016     

miyoko71
Morocco

so using the past continuous with when is a mistake.

7 Dec 2016     

Mr. TITA
Morocco

Dear Myoko,

This is a very interesting remark.  I noticed that most Moroccan teachers mistakeably use it. It even exists in textbooks. we should normally say:
While I was watching a film, somebody knocked on the door.
I was watching a film when somebody knocked on the door.
The short action interrupts the long one. we normally introduce the long action with while and the short action with when.
when the two actions are long and happen in the same time we use the past continuous introduced with while:
while I was reading a novel, my brother was watching TV.
hope this can help.

8 Dec 2016     

miyoko71
Morocco

thx for your help.
I  ve found this example in a website and it didn t sound to me good to use the past continuous with when.So I wanted to make sure.
when is used for a short action that interrupts a long action

9 Dec 2016