Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary    

vocabulary

tommy1996
Vietnam

vocabulary

please help me differ motion pictures from cartoons.
what do they mean? 
Thanks in advance. 

7 Dec 2016      

jfaraujo
Portugal

Hi!

Motion pictures are films in general and cartoons are normally seen on TV, like Tom and Jerry or Popeye or Songoku, the famous Japanese cartoon.
I hope this may help but maybe a native speaker will be clearer about this.

7 Dec 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

Two things generally separate them --- 

Motion Pictures is another way to say "movie", and they  usually involve "real life" people and things.  They are longer than cartoons -- usually anywhere from an hour to two hours.

Cartoons are animation -- they are not real people or things. They are drawings or pictures of things that are put into movement. They are usually short and seen on tv. 30 minutes or sometimes an hour long. 

Now, there are sometimes cartoons that are  longer and are shown in a movie theater.  These are rare. But these rare cartoons seen in a movie theater we will also call motion picture. But then usually there will be some explanation that it is a cartoon, and not a "real life" movie. 

I hope this helps.

Cheers from China!!  

7 Dec 2016