Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Using how and Ordinal number?    

Using how and Ordinal number?

a2king
Vietnam

Using how and Ordinal number?

Here is the situation 1 :

A man goes to my store to buy a cake for his parents � wedding anniversary. And he would like to write something on that cake. And I have to ask him about the number of years so that I can write it on that cake. What or how should I ask?     

Situation 2: 

My friend has some younger brothers and older brothers. I want to ask him about his position in his family. What should I ask? Can I ask "what is your place in your family?   

11 Dec 2016      

FrauSue
France

For your first situation, I would ask "How long have your parents been married (for)?" or "Which anniversary are the celebrating?" You could also ask "How many years have they been married (for)?"

The second situation seems a bit odd to me. "Which child are you?" or "Where do you come in the family order?" could work. We might more naturally ask "Are you the oldest?" or "Are you the youngest?" and then wait for the friend to clarify his position.

There �s no such thing as "How manyth" in English! 

11 Dec 2016     

a2king
Vietnam

For the 1st situation, can I ask "which anniversary is it?" like your suggestion for the 2nd situation???

11 Dec 2016     

douglas
United States

"Which anniversary is it?"

"Which child are you?"

12 Dec 2016