Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you help me with two different tenses??    

Can you help me with two different tenses??

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Can you help me with two different tenses??

Hi, I have problems to explain the difference in the following example between the future simple and the future perfect. I know the second is the most suitable but why?

a) By the end of the 21st century, global temperatures will increase by 1-6.4ºC.

b) By the end of the 21st century, global temperatures will have increased by 1-6.4ºC.

Thanks in advance
Yolanda

18 Dec 2016      

joannajs
Poland

Hi Yolanda,

I guess the main issue here is that Future Simple expresses mostly predictions or expectations while Future Perfect is more about certain activities being finished by that time. So in sentence A the temperatures will be on the increase by the end of the 21st c, while in B by that time the process will be done (the temperatures will have risen earlier).

hope I could help

joanna 

18 Dec 2016     

yanogator
United States

Joanna explained it well.

Bruce 

18 Dec 2016     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Thanks for your help

18 Dec 2016     

foret
France

We, French have the equivalent of the future perfect, so it �s kind of obvious for us to know when to use it in English. But let me try to explain.
Actually you use the future perfect when you �re talking about two events that are supposed to take place in the future but you consider that one of them will happen before the second one which is often introduced by: "by then" "by that time" by the + date", "when", etc. either directly mentioned or just implied.
Example: I will certainly have put on some weight (1) by the beginning of next year (2). (because of all the chocolates I will probably eat at Christmas and on New Year �s eve)
(1) will happen (just) before (2) but both events are in the future compared to the time when you �re uttering this sentence.
 I hope I �ve been of some help here.

Pascal

18 Dec 2016     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

You have been of great help, thanks

Yolanda

19 Dec 2016