Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Caught red handed, and still commenting ......    

Caught red handed, and still commenting ......

evadp75
Romania

Caught red handed, and still commenting ......

Yesterday I made a comment about a stolen worksheet, and the guy got upset, so he checked out my printables, and he sent me a private message asking me if my article on the Oscar is not stolen. NO, IT IS NOT! my dear friend. All you have to do when you want to write about some topic, is just google it and you will find a lot of material to read, and then you will have some starting points about the topic. As a matter of fact, I am a huge Oscar fan, and I wake up every year in the middle of the night, just to watch it live, and write down all the winners.
Anyway, I think his reaction is childish: he got caught and now he is trying to point fingers. I only have one thing to say to him: Good luck!

5 Mar 2009      

frenchfrog
France

As long as you have created some activities to go with the text, that is fine. We are not journalists! We have to get primary sources.
However, if this is just a text... Anybody can copy and paste from the net, whether it be a picture or a text. What is more uncommon to find is activities to go with these resources!!

5 Mar 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear Evad,
It �s just a normal reaction for a person who knows he �s done something wrong.

As Frenchfrog said, we �re not authors. We can �t work without input. Our job is to create activities that greatly apply to to this input.

Good for you. I hope that person good luck too.

Hugs,
Nebal

5 Mar 2009     

_babz
Canada

by the way guys....we all take initial material from authors...it �s still plagiarism!

when a student takes stuff from wikipedia...do we not punish them??

we �re not authors....that doesn �t make it right...well,,,,,we �re not the authors of those texts....so...it �s still wrong.....but i think since we have no intention in making profit from those texts...and that it �s for educational purposes...so...it �s somewhat okay, but not comforting to the original author who didn �t intend for his-her text or photo to be used in an ESL activity sheet.

All this to say that for the first time,

i was even policed myself recently.....someone from work...sent me a game...and i added it to eslprintables.com....i asked my co-worker �s permission...she said okay..........and a day later...someone....blasted me!...the user was like: you got this from a site..not your work!!!

not knowing this...............immediately deleted the document, lost points (but who cares)...and i didn �t respond.

...but at some point i think we all need to relax a little.....cause let �s face it....we all have either taken .gif pics, texts or something from a book, the internet....etc etc

before users in here start to police...maybe they should check their own work....

Take care everyone! :D

5 Mar 2009     

frenchfrog
France

You are totally right tbabalis!! Writing the link of the source does not mean at all that we got permission from the author!! But this is the least we can do! Once I tried to do things properly, wrote an email to ask if I could use some materials I had found interesting. Never got any answer!

5 Mar 2009     

_babz
Canada

actually scratch what i said before.

i just responded to that person. (and i then noticed i wrote hypocrisy..the wrong way..sometimes my mother tongue mixes me up....anyway.....)

.....i checked the users stuff.....and to my BIG surprise......the user has taken an article from a well-known website.....the text

anyway.....i know it probably made me into a bad guy, but i just wanted to prove a point....if you �re squeeky clean in here...then you can comment about others...

otherwise...you just look like a fool...

my two cents..

5 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

My 5 cents worth?
Many stories have been written with many themes and variations.
Here is where we can avoid the plagiarism problem.
If you read a good story, re-write it in your own words.
Add pictures, and then it �s yours!
How many stories in the world are built upon the Romeo and Juliet theme?
Millions!
There are thousands and thousands of variations out there.
What makes one story different from the next is one small change in the plot or a different ending or setting.

So as long as we don �t write "verbatim" from a text,book or internet site, you can pretty much do as you like.
L
ps - I write lyrics over themes I �ve read in books and stuff, (and also real life events) and have never had a problem with plagiarism.

5 Mar 2009     

Patrick
Ireland

Just a thought guys,

I joined esl a number of years ago, back when the site was just getting started but I left teaching for about 15 months or so and I �m just back teaching again. browsing through some of my old ws I discovered a comment "Stolen", just one word an a ws.

My first reaction was to send a nasty reply, but having thought about it I �d like to make a comment...........

The work sheets that we upload today may be taken by someone else and posted on another website as theirs, as we have seen happen on this site many times........ indeed it �s a hot topic. In the months to come those ws will be downloaded from here many times (hopefully :), and somebody will make a connection and realise that they have seen the work sheet before................................ ok you get my point.

Please.............. unless its blatent stealing (which in many cases I understand it is), maybe a little diplomacy and send a private mesage explaining you will denounce the author unless it �s removed, give a little space for a reply or a comment.

I hate this comment on my ws, but I don �t want to get into a tit for tat with the person who posted it.

I don �t steal ws, I have a little more selfrespect and I appreciate those ws I download and the hard work that went into them.

OK that �s my little rant over...........

on a different note... having been away for a long time I couldnt believe the standard of work on the site when I came back............ a big thanks to everyone.

5 Mar 2009     

evadp75
Romania

Hi guys!
I really appreciate your comments on the issue. I don �t want to continue on this matter, but I must admit that I reacted a little bit too much when I saw the stolen wks. You are right ... I should have asked the guy simply to remove it becuase it is not his work. As to my wks on The Oscar, I have to say to my defence, that I didn �t copy it. I documented myself from the official Oscar site, and from anywhere else I could find useful info. I read it all, put down the main ideas and the intersting facts on paper, and then I put it together. Maybe, here and there my writing is the same as in the texts from which I documented myself, but to what extent could I change the language, or rephrase it, when it is about given facts, people and numbers?
The original version I made had all the film posters mentioned in the article, as well as pictures of the actors and actresses, and of the three most common settings for the Awards. But it was too big (4.26 MB) - because of the pictures - so I couldn �t send it like that. I simplified it and that �s why it looks so dull ....
Anyways ..... thanks again for your thoughts

5 Mar 2009