Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > touristic/ touristy    

touristic/ touristy

regueb
Tunisia

touristic/ touristy

hello everybody.
can you tell me please what the diefference between "touristy" and "touristic" is? 
thanks in advance 

9 Feb 2017      

redcamarocruiser
United States

It is touristy means it is an attraction or activity that will appeal mainly to tourists. It can have a slightly negative connotation.

tour·ist·y
ˈto͝orəstē/
adjective
informal
  1. relating to, appealing to, or visited by tourists (often used to suggest tawdriness or lack of authenticity).
    "a touristy shopping street"
-------------------
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/touristic
of or relating to a tour, tourism, or tourists <the touristic tradition of visiting Roman ruins by night

Touristic is a more elevated (more proper, formal) form of the adjective. 

9 Feb 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

Touristic relates to tourists as people or the activities but not the places.
 We shouldn �t say something like: "The Mosque of Cordoba is a wonderful touristic sight." That �s wrong.
We can say, "The Mosque in Cordoba is a unique touristic experience." That �s correct but it is rather prissy and formal.
I always tell my students to avoid the word. 

10 Feb 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

�Touristy � is quite often used with a negative connotation, if you describe something as �touristy � you mean that there are a lot of tourists who spoil the beauty of a site. (That �s from my observation, anyway...) 

10 Feb 2017     

Jayho
Australia

In my neck of the woods, if you said toruistic then you would get a very strange look.  No-one uses it, not that I know of, or have read. It is way too formal.

I wouldn�t say that touristy has negative connotations; to us it really just means that it is a place/activity that is frequented/undertaken by tourists who think it is the real McCoy (and avoided by the locals unless they have visitors in town), but of course the locals don�t let on because they like to keep the real thing to themselves. I�m sure it�s the same everywhere.

Cheers

Jayho 

10 Feb 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

This is interesting. Just had a look how some popular dictionaries define the word touristy and it appears the word does have negative connotations: (at least to the compilers of the dictionaries).

- According to Cambridge Dictionary A touristy place is not attractive because a lot of tourists visit it and it is full of things for them to buy and do

- The Oxford Dictionary declares the term as being an informal word defines it as follows: Relating to, appealing to, or visited by tourists (often used to suggest tawdriness or lack of authenticity)

- Collins Dictionary goes even further :

If you describe a place as touristy, you do not like it because it is full of tourists or full of things for tourists to buy and do.

[informal , disapproval]

Visit some of the less touristy islands.

and then gives an "American usage"

touristy in American English(ˈtʊrɪsti ; toorˈistē)

adjective

of or for tourists

often used with mild contempt to suggest banality or tastelessness

- and the Longman dictionary, to conclude with: