Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The meaning of quotes    

The meaning of quotes

avecor
Poland

The meaning of quotes

Hello! 
Please, can you help me with this quote.
"

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly. "

Does it mean that they (friends) lift us only to OUR FEET or is it some other not literal meaning that i don �t get here. Please let me know!  Using my logic to "to our feet" seems not really high but low, which for sure here would be wrong in this context. Can you please help me understand this quote and explain another logic of understanding this quote, maybe I �m not understanding the grammar or so. I �ll be grateful for some smart views on that. Thanks! 

10 Feb 2017      

redcamarocruiser
United States

It means that when we are knocked down (off our feet and lying hurt or injured on the ground), angels lift us and help us get back on our feet again (stand up again).  We, like our friends, are angels (birds of a feather flock together). As angels,we would normally use our wings to get back up, but we need our angel friends to help us in this instance because we have, for the moment, forgotten how to fly. 

10 Feb 2017     

yanogator
United States

Excellent answer, Mary. The quote doesn �t make it clear that it is actually "back to our feet". The original really isn �t very well written, since being on our feet isn �t important for flying. I would add that maybe it is saying that sometimes getting back up on our feet is as high as we can get (when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly).

Bruce 

10 Feb 2017     

avecor
Poland

Thanks Bruce, I think I get it now. "To our feet" means, as you pointed out, back to our feet, they make us able again to walk...or so. I get the meaning right now. Thanks again. Do you think this is the only and correct meaning? In other place I found quote" Friends are angels who lift our feet (without prepostion TO) when our wings have ...this makes it a lot easier to understand. Don �t you think?

Thanx, 
Meg 

11 Feb 2017     

avecor
Poland

Thanks redcamarocruiser for your post too of course! I understood the overall meaninng I just couldn �g get passed over the "TO OUR FEET" but when you wrote "back to our feet" than it  made so much easier to undertstand it. Thanks:)

11 Feb 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Excellent answers from those two linguistically gifted angels.  I think this is a lovely metaphor. Our friends are indeed angels who, when we are down, lift us up and help us to our feet. Of course, flying for humans is only in the metaphorical sense: you say it of someone who is doing exceptionally well. We can say this of students and another saying to convey the same message is �You are on fire today! � This reminds me of that song by Bette Midler, �You are the wind beneath my wings �.  
Just a little meander from me!  

11 Feb 2017     

yanogator
United States

Well, Meg, as I said, the original isn �t very well written, and I don �t think the alternative you �ve seen is very good, either. Why are they lifting our feet and not the whole person?

Bruce 

11 Feb 2017     

ldeloresmoore
China

"Lift us to our feet" is also a metaphor for "supporting us emotionally when we are at a weak point in life" --- 

"Our wings have trouble remembering how to fly" is a metaphor for a not having confidence in our ability.  

12 Feb 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes and there are loads similar to these, i.e using references to body parts to indicate an emotional state or an attitude to life. You might be: standing on your own two feet, on your knees, unable to face your problems, getting to the heart of the matter, fingering the culprit, shouldering your responsibilities, having your back to the wall, standing tall.... Maybe a worksheet is in order

Lifts you to your feet.... or knocks you to your knees... quite standard ordinary English. Just seen this example. 

If anyone has gone through a divorce and children, houses, savings, cars, pets, furniture 401k ...and a lot of blaming, pointing fingers. ..lawyers and mediators. Its more than rough ...it takes a toll and knocks you to your knees.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4216218/United-Airlines-pilot-removed-flight-rant.html#ixzz4YUHahux0 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

12 Feb 2017