Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Help : teaching vocabulary    

Help : teaching vocabulary

OL1N3
Indonesia

Help : teaching vocabulary

Dear Teachers,
Do you have any teaching technique how to teach vocabulary for 4th grade student? How to enrich their vocabulary so they can remember it easily? any idea pls????
thanks a lot!

6 Mar 2009      

s.lefevre
Brazil

One of the activities I did with children is to make picture dictionaries. They have to draw the word and then write the names.  Each subject should be on a different sheet. So perhaps: fruits, vegetables, animals, weather, actions and so on.

6 Mar 2009     

missundaztood_74
Spain

flahscards and games with flashcards are usually a good way, it works perfectly in my 4th grade classess,
you can find lots of games in the net using this tool, and they love getting points playing in groups, and as they are in 4th grade you can use both picture flaschards and words flashcards
Smile

6 Mar 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Well, I let the children stand in circle;  one of them says a word, according to what  they are learning, and the second child has to repeat the previous word and one of his own...and so on.
I hope I �ve been able to explain it.
Ciao

6 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Songs with lots of repetition -
for example:

Head and shoulders knees and toes..........
There were 10 in the bed and the little one said, roll over.
Where is thumb man
He �s got the whole world in his hands
What do we do with a drunken sailor
There were 10 green bottles
Old MacDonald had a farm

These are great songs for learning!

6 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=5345

6 Mar 2009     

gloriawpai
Brazil

You can use TPR (total physical response) games and boardgames.

6 Mar 2009     

OL1N3
Indonesia

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, friends ;-)
however, they got their vocab such as: haggard, jovial, ecstatic, robust, fad, hazard, tingled, etc. How to make them memorize the meaning easily? I �m a private tutor at home, what should i do to help them memorize the meaning of those kind of words??

6 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Just wondering, why would 4th graders need to know THOSE words?  If we �re talking about 7-9 year olds, I find those words a bit strange.
My students are building up a vocabulary with words such as pets, family, clothes, the classroom, hobbies and things like that. I don �t understand why haggard, jovia, ecstatic etc. are relevant to such young learners.?????

6 Mar 2009