Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > topic to set a composition    

topic to set a composition

Pedro14
Spain

topic to set a composition

Hi there,

I have a weak pre-intermediate group of students. I would like to give them some topics to write about using the grammar structures we �re dealing with now, which are obligation and permission in the present and in the past. Could you please tell me scenarios or contexts I can give them so that they can write compositions about using the grammar point mentioned above? I �ve run out of ideas. Thanks in advance. 

21 Feb 2017      

redcamarocruiser
United States

They can write their version of ideal classroom rules.
Do �s and don �t of dating rules. 
They are the parents and have to formulate the house rules.
Rules for health or safety. 
They are a doctor and have to tell the patient what he has to do to get well. 

21 Feb 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

A forum search on pros and cons or debate topics turned up more topics that may serve as writing prompts. One example:

21 Feb 2017     

FrauSue
France

I agree - house rules or classroom rules work best for this set of modals. How about comparing their rules with those of their parents � generation?

I have to help load and unload the dishwasher, but I don �t have to wash all the plates by hand, My mum didn �t have a dishwasher when she was a child, so she had to help wash and dry all the dishes.
I �m allowed to use the internet, but my parents forbid me from accessing websites after 10pm. I �m lucky, though. When my parents were children, they weren �t even allowed to use the phone except on special occasions! 

21 Feb 2017     

Pedro14
Spain

Thank you all for your help.

23 Feb 2017