Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > WHAT DOES "___ FORM" MEAN?     

WHAT DOES "___ FORM" MEAN?

ldeloresmoore
China

WHAT DOES "___ FORM" MEAN?

I have a monumentally stupid question --- 

I see lots of "3rd form" this, and "7th form" that attached to various worksheets and such.

Could someone please explain what "form" is referring to in these?  I googled it, but I must not be asking a clear enough question because I �m not getting a clear explanation.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dee 

4 Mar 2017      

kohai
Latvia

It means "grade" or "class" and is still used in some countries.

4 Mar 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yep, that �s right. When I was at secondary school, (sometime before the Punic Wars blah de blah), �form � to refer to class was the norm in England. It could also refer to a whole year group and so year 7 were �first formers � etc. Years 12 and 13 are still often referred to as �the sixth form �. 

5 Mar 2017     

ldeloresmoore
China

Ok -- that �s kinda what I figured, but was confused.  Although, I thought it somehow was associated with ALL the school years, and not just secondary, thus my confusion. 

Thanks for clarifying.   In the US, we just use "grade" -- 1st through 12th...

5 Mar 2017     

Jayho
Australia

When my older brothers were in secondary school it was Form 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 but for me, just a few  years later, it was Grade 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 (and primary school was Grades 1 to 7). Now it�s Year 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 for secondary and Years 1 through to 6 for primary. It must be due for a name change anytime soon, haha.

5 Mar 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

In my opinion, it is often a useless piece of information, especially when there is little told about the content. "Vocabulary about this and that" and "this or that grammar point" would be much better. What is taught in the 5th grade here might be taught in the 3rd elsewhere or the other way around. 

5 Mar 2017     

ldeloresmoore
China

@Minka -- EXACTLY MY THOUGHT!!  I was thinking the EXACT same thing.  I have zero way to know what "___form" is supposed to mean.  

I �m glad I �m not the only one.  

5 Mar 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think the wss you are referring to are probably meaningful to downloaders who share nationality, because some countries follow the same course through, so grade 7 or form 7 work is exactly that. It doesn �t help the rest of us, who might have 15 year olds, etc starting from scratch. But at the end of the day, the preview is there for all to see. 

6 Mar 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

A nice description would be very useful, though. It would take a long time to preview a worksheet like that every time and I certainly don �t want to reward it with a point for my download. This is a very nice sharing site for teachers working in different school systems worldwide. Everyone should take that into account. 

6 Mar 2017     

MariemMh
Tunisia

Here in Tunisia, we use the word "form", meaning grade, from grade 7 to 9 (middle school) and then 1st to 4th (secondary school). 

6 Mar 2017     

AnthonyRainey
United States

Actually the word " form" doesn �t differ much from grade. However, it is not synonym to grade. It is just different for different countries. In American English it is correct to writemyessaytoday especially nowadays as "grade"  while in UK  - "form". This is the main difference.

20 Sep 2017