Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary related question    

vocabulary related question

Pedro14
Spain

vocabulary related question

Hi all,

I was watching a TV series yesterday when I listened to a new word for me, "mother-hen". By the context I understood it was a mum who is always attentive to her children, always looking after them and spending quality time with them. The point is that I couldn �t look it up in my print dictionary and on wordreference I was given "indulgent mother" when I typed the equivalent Spanish term for that definition. Is "mother hen" more colloquial than "indulgent mother"? Which term would you use to describe a father instead of a woman? "Father hen"- I guess not because I �ve already googled it and got no answers? Thanks for your time and have a nice Sunday!!  

2 Apr 2017      

keanpat
United States

A mother hen is one who Constantly watches the kids...The kids are everything...Almost too much. I cant think of any for a father..except Shotgun dad...but that means he is very protective of his daughter.

2 Apr 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

A doting father is not exactly the same as a mother hen, but it is close.  You could also say a helicopter mother (one who is hovering over her child �s development, and helicopter parent for the father. He is a stay at home dad and a bit of a mother hen would also be understood.

2 Apr 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A mother hen isn �t usually a term to be applied to a mother looking after her kids. It refers to a lady who fusses over those around her - friends and workmates. It �s not always complimentary: it can denote a bit of a fusspot who should mind her own business.  
A positive example: a head of department was really caring about her team of teachers. We used to say, �Oh Pauline is a proper mother hen, with her chicks gathered round her.� 

2 Apr 2017     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne, that the term is usually applied to a woman, or sometimes even a man, who is constantly "taking care of" others, whether they need and want it or not.

Bruce 

2 Apr 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Some people use "mother hen" in a positive, loving, nurturing, protective sense.

"I. God�s love is like a mother hen: who gathers and protects us. �Have you ever seen a chicken hawk go after its prey? The old mother hen is often aware of the presence of the hawk in time to gather her chicks under her wing. With a furious fuss she squawks till her brood is safe by her side. She fluffs out her wings and protects them with her own body. The chicken hawk dives and the old hen turns her body toward him and cocks a wary eye without moving from her children. The predator comes in again for the kill and the mother 2 spreads her wings even wider. A third time he dives only to be thwarted by the determined selfsacrifice of the mother hen. She is too big to be a target and the chicks are too safe to be seized so he flies away.� (Brett Blair). "

This site http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/stw/2016/02/01/loving-like-a-mother-hen-lent-2c-2016/ asks the rhetorical question in a sermon, "How often do we use the term �mother hen� when we refer to a person who is especially nurturing to and protective of those they love?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgFvRuEk0WM says the mother hen, which to me is a loving nurturing mother, turns into a mother bear.

Here is another example of mother hen used to mean be a nurturing mom.  http://www.3chickensandaboat.com/mother-hen-2/

This video in contrast shows the meaning of the meddler that Lynne and Bruce correctly call a mother hen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsQ6U3vtWmQ

3 Apr 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

God’s love is like a mother hen: who gathers and protects us.

3 Apr 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Mary - yes, used in a positive sense, the term has a real, warm glow about it. 

3 Apr 2017