Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help needed    

Help needed

aura+
Portugal

Help needed

"I don�t  really think that we can change the situation."

If a  student is asked to rewrite the sentence beginning with "It �s not worth...", would you accept  "It �s not worth changing the situation" or " "it �s not worth thinking that you can change the situation." 

I really need help because I would accept the first as well.

8 Apr 2017      

yanogator
United States

There �s no reason to bring "thinking" into the rewritten sentence, because "I don �t think" is just expressing that this is an opinion. Beyond that, when you add "It �s not worth", the sense changes from possibility of change to the value of changing, so the meaning is going to be different. Therefore, since both rewritten sentences are grammatically correct, they should both be accepted. However, I think that "It �s not worth trying to change the situation" would be better.

Here �s why:
"It �s not worth changing the situation" means that if we change the situation, it won �t be worth the effort that it took. Since the original sentence says that I don �t think we can change it at all, then "if we change the situation" isn �t possiblt.
Thinking that you can change the situation doesn �t really require effort, so I wouldn �t use "It �s not worth" with "thinking".

Bruce 

8 Apr 2017     

aura+
Portugal

Thanks!

8 Apr 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

I can �t help feeling that none of the sentences means the same as the original one. Is that still rewriting  a sentence?

8 Apr 2017     

aura+
Portugal

I agree. 
The one yanogator suggests  ("It �s not worth trying to change the situation") is much closer to the original meaning. 

8 Apr 2017     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Minka, I thought about that, too. The instruction would be better as "Change the sentence to one beginning with �It �s not worth... �".

Bruce 

8 Apr 2017