Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Should there be a rule against listening worksheets without audio?    

Should there be a rule against listening worksheets without audio?

falafel
Tunisia

I totally agree with Karagozian, Cunliffe and Maryse  I think that a listening worksheet with a tapescript should be accepted .

19 Apr 2017     

omaxios
Morocco

Hi! I very often encounter this problem when downloading LWs.
I think it �s a good idea to get users to put in audio files within their worksheets. The new rule for this could be that uploaders would have to include audio links into the worksheet or else provide it on the description page, but some listening recordings CAN �T BE ACCESSED ONLINE because they �re mp3 files. For this reason, I suggest that you update a new option on your website where we can upload our worksheets ALONG WITH the (mp3 or whatever type) audio files to make it easier for access. Otherwise, you might consider the initial suggestion or maybe develop a converting service or filter in which we can transform our computer-stocked audio files into direct links for download.

19 Apr 2017     

Tony C
United Kingdom

I think that an audio link should be included. If there is a transcript, it is OK if there is just one character who has to speak, but if there are multiple characters, I would not expect the teacher to start providing a range of voices to read all of the parts, especially if the student(s) need to hear it before reading.

19 Apr 2017     

maestralidia
Italy

I agre with Cunliffe and Marise. a teacher can read the script. bye.

19 Apr 2017     

cindyrendon89
Colombia

I have some listening worksheets, and some people have emailed me asking me for the audio track.
They  always provide their email and I take 5 minutes to send it. 

19 Apr 2017     

kohai
Latvia

Dear Victor,

To answer your question directly,
IMHO, YES, there should be a rule against Listening worksheets without AUDIO LINK OR TAPESCRIPT. 
(If I choose and download a ws, I download it for the use in my classroom. I want to check immediately if it suits to my and my ss needs. I am not interested in waiting for the audio files for days, months, or forever... But I have no idea how to defend the worksheets that have been uploaded earlier, before this new rule.)

To add a bit more,
the same should apply to Reading worksheets without text!!

Out of your question,
Wouldn �t it be possible to add an empty box (or a box with choices) next to the statement "It is not an ESL resource" to give a more detailed reason of reporting? 

BTW, Listening worksheets with only mp3 can be shared in liveworksheets.com, it �s possible to upload mp3 files there (and download worksheets, if they are shared).

Thanks for this great site!
kohai 

19 Apr 2017     

dragonfly2
Portugal

For me, the best option would be the possibility to upload the audio files on this site, as omaxios has suggested.There would be a separate option where members could upload the files and then provide the link in the worksheet description.

19 Apr 2017     

victor
Spain

Thanks a lot for your opinions. I think the new rule could be something like this:

Listening worksheets must include a link to an audio file or a tapescript. Alternatively, the audio file can be emailed to the users who ask for it.

As usual, the new rule should not be applied to the older worksheets.

19 Apr 2017     

karagozian
France

Thank you once more Victor !

19 Apr 2017     

MoodyMoody
United States

Victor,

I am all about revising the rules when necessary. However, for the benefit of new users, could the Rules and Instructions also be updated? The posted rules are seven years old and include obsolete rules such as files being saved as .doc or .ppt rather than .docx and .pptx. I had sent a proposed revision almost three years ago, and I would be happy to send the Word document as a basis for further revision. I �d also be happy to incorporate this change into my document, along with other changes in the past three years. Either leave a message here or PM me, and I �ll be happy to send what I have.

MoodyMoody 

19 Apr 2017     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >