Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > X pronunciation    

X pronunciation

Jayho
Australia

X pronunciation

Hi everyone

Need some help with the pronunciation of X (and my pronun. books shed no light).

So, generally:

Fix - cks
Example - egz
xerox -

Anxious does not fit the general rule.  Can you think of any other common words with an x spelling that do not fit the general rule.

Also, excuse me is generally ck (but it can sound like eg).  Do you say eckscuze me or egscuze me? 

Cheers

Jayho 

27 Apr 2017      

Gi2gi
Georgia

luxurious

27 Apr 2017     

leaponover
United States

xylophone
xenophobic
example has the same situation with excuse
exist
exile

Almost all languages have instances where two vowel sounds are next to each other and are difficult to pronounce together so the pronunciation is simplified.  

For instance I am an American but I live in Korea now.   There is a volcanic mountain on the Island of Jeju which is spelled in Korean characters as Hanla Mountain.  However, in Korean to follow that �n" sound up with a "l/r" sound is difficult so they have a rule where the "n" sound changes to an "l/r" sound.  So in English it is spelled Halla Mountain and pronounced as such, instead of Hanra Mountain.  

27 Apr 2017     

Kate Maven
Canada

For "ex" beginning words, here �s the rule I teach (in Ontario, Canada in 2017 - there are always regional differences and changes over time!

ex followed by a Vowel or Vowel Sound = egz
e.g.,
exam
exit
exhaust (ex followed by a Vowel SOUND - the "h" is silent)
etc.

ex followed by a Consonant = eks
e.g.,
excellent
expert
extend
extensive 
etc.

Hope this helps!
Kate 

27 Apr 2017     

douglas
United States

noxious

edit (from a crossword puzzle word finder):
Innoxious
  1. adjective - having no adverse effect
Obnoxious
  1. adjective - causing disapproval or protest; "a vulgar and objectionable person"

28 Apr 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

Example and excuse don �t sound the same to me (the beginning sounds, I mean) and this is what I have found:

example

ɪɡˈzɑːmp(ə)l,ɛɡˈzɑːmp(ə)l/ (G)

excuse

ɪkˈskjuːz,ɛkˈskjuːz/  (K)

28 Apr 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

Slightly off-topic since it�s not a word, but if you see /x/ as part of the IPA notation for an English word, you can bet your bottom bawbee the word is Scottish or Irish in origin (eg /lɒx/ = loch/lough; /ˈklaxən/ = clachan; /ʃu:x/ = sheugh). 

Oh, and x�s which buck your rule: would you accept the silent x in words like prix (as in grand prix)? 

28 Apr 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Crucifixion, transfixion, connexion, inflexion, and fluxion are more words that are exceptions. 

Edit: @ almaz

"But surely crucifixion (/kru:sɪˈfɪkʃ(ə)n/), transfixion (/transˈfɪkʃ(ə)n/) etc all conform to Jayho�s cks ï¿½rule�? It�s only the -ion suffix that adds the -sh phase (compare with crucifix (/ˈkru:sɪfɪks/) � you�ve still got the k stop followed by the sibilant." 

I am sure you are right, Alex.  I thought we were supposed to find examples of words that have the -sh phase because they are not pronounced cks, but are exceptions to the cks pronunciation.

28 Apr 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

But surely crucifixion (/kru:sɪˈfɪkʃ(ə)n/), transfixion (/transˈfɪkʃ(ə)n/) etc all conform to Jayho�s cks ï¿½rule�? It�s only the -ion suffix that adds the -sh phase (compare with crucifix (/ˈkru:sɪfɪks/) � you�ve still got the k stop followed by the sibilant.

(apologies in advance to any phonologists here who can no doubt give a better description

Alex 

28 Apr 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Extended thanks for all your excellent examples - it�s great to get so many angles of expertise of x words in existence

Kate - I like your rule (noting that in Australian English we say mostly ecksit, but egzit is ok too)

And this brings me back to one of my original questions: do you say eckscuze me or egscuze me (dictionary shows the former for IPA but I think in life the latter is used a lot)

Based on your words (and my Australian pronunciation of these) I  would classify these as follows:

Generally

1. x is at the end of the word:  cks - fix, crucifix, transfix, flux

[Exceptions: prix, faux = silent]

2. x is usually followed by a consonant: ck-s - excellent, expert, extend, extensive

[Exceptions: exile, taxi, lexicon, peroxide, exit*]

3. x is usually followed by a vowel or vowel sound eg-z - example, exam, exit*, exhaust, exist

4. x is the first letter of the word: z - xerox, xylopohone, xenophobic,  

5: ck�sh - luxury, anxious, noxious, obnoxious, crucifixion, transfixion, fluxion? (I don �t know this word)

6. ck�zh - luxurious 

Any more? 

[Mary: connexion & inflexion, are these US spellings? We spell as connection &  inflection]

Thanks for the history Alamz.  Out of interest, do any of these x words originate from another language?

Cheers

Jayho 

28 Apr 2017     

kodora
Greece

Prix and faux are French, xylophone, xenophobia, xenophilia and many more starting with x are Greek words and some helpful information: 

In English orthography, ⟨x⟩ is typically pronounced as the voiceless consonant cluster /ks/ when it follows the stressed vowel (e.g. ox), and the voiced consonant /ɡz/ when it precedes the stressed vowel (e.g. exam). It is also pronounced /ɡz/ when it precedes a silent ⟨h⟩ and a stressed vowel (e.g. exhaust).[2] Before ⟨i⟩ or ⟨u⟩, it can be pronounced /kʃ/ or /ɡʒ/ (e.g. sexual and luxury); these result from earlier /ksj/ and /ɡzj/. It also makes the sound /kʃ/ in words ending in -xion (typically used only in British-based spellings of the language; American spellings tend to use -ction). When ⟨x⟩ ends a word, it is always /ks/ (e.g. ax), except in loan words such as faux (see French, below).

There are very few English words that start with ⟨x⟩ (the fewest number of any letter). When ⟨x⟩ does start a word, it is usually pronounced /z/ (e.g. xylophone, xenophobia, and xanthan); in rare recent loanwords or foreign proper names, it can also be pronounced /s/ (e.g. the obsolete Vietnamese monetary unit xu) or /ʃ/ (e.g. Chinese names starting with Xi like Xiaomi or Xinjiang). Many of the words that start with ⟨x⟩ are of Greek origin, or standardized trademarks (Xerox) or acronyms (XC). In abbreviations, it can represent "trans-" (e.g. XMIT for transmit, XFER for transfer), "cross-" (e.g. X-ing for crossing, XREF for cross-reference), "Christ-" as shorthand for the labarum (e.g. Xmas for Christmas, Xian for Christian), the "crys-" in crystal (XTAL), or various words starting with "ex-" (e.g. XL for extra large, XOR for exclusive-or).

Hope it helps! 

28 Apr 2017     

1    2    Next >