Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need Help    

Need Help

MariemMh
Tunisia

Need Help

Dear colleagues,
I am currently working on a research paper (about 30 pages long) dealing with the topic Collaborative Learning in Practice. Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as I encountered the same information on all the websites, articles and books and have nothing further to add. If you have dealt with this topic before or have any pertinent helpful materials, please let me know. I �m running out of time...

1 Jun 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Is your essay discursive about the ideology, or just collaborative learning in practice? If so, have you mentioned Kagan and his collaborative/co-operative learning techniques and studies? Have you discussed an alternative approach: competition, which may favour boys? Have you included personal anecdotes of when you did collaborative learning exercises and the outcomes - what went well, what could have been improved etc.... Have you included a section on language games (collaborative in their very nature?). Have you looked at  collaborativelearning.org. There are some activities you could summarise and comment on.... 

1 Jun 2017     

MariemMh
Tunisia

Hi Cunliffe, 
Thank you so much for your reply. I have been trying to get in touch with people who have a clear idea about this topic but to no avail. Truth be told, I was given the topic by an instructor and was told to talk about it in theory and then to include a chapter at the end discussing the practical part, but not much else. For that reason, I was looking for extra help since all of my research ,mainly on google, proved to have the same information. I haven �t come across this website though and I �m grateful for your very constructive feedback. I am not sure whether to stick to Collaborative learning or to talk about the other project based methods like cooperative learning or competition. What would you recommend? 

1 Jun 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Mariem,
You could define the definitions - what do they mean and what is the same/different. You could also look at the different learning styles and say to what extent collaborative learning suits each style and how it can be adapted to each learning style. I wouldn �t write about one style in a vacuum, I would compare and contrast it with others..Particularly when you have to write about thirty pages. I �m still thinking and hopefully you �ll get some more answers.

2 Jun 2017