Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Saying ´Hello ´ and ´Goodbye ´ in the UK, the USA, Canada and other countries    

Saying ´Hello ´ and ´Goodbye ´ in the UK, the USA, Canada and other countries

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Saying ´Hello ´ and ´Goodbye ´ in the UK, the USA, Canada and other countries

Hello there ;-)

I know that are many ways to say ´Hello ´ and ´Goodbye ´ in the UK , Canada, Australia and the USA. 
Could you give me some examples  of those ?

Thank you ,

7 Jun 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi, hiya Ewalina! What ´s up? 
´Bye! Bye for now. See ya! Ta-ra (Northern English)  I´ll be seeing you. 
A bit old-fashioned now is ´Toodle-oo´, as is ´cheerio´.

7 Jun 2017     

Elle81
United Kingdom

Here in the UK, we usually say "cheerio" which is another way of saying "goodbye".

7 Jun 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Hi, hey, how ´re you doing?, How ´s it going?
Bye, have a nice day, see you tomorrow, bye bye. 

7 Jun 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Ewelina,

HELLO
hallo; hullo;hi; ciao; hiya, holloa, good morning, ´good moaning´; morning, morn; good afternoon; good arternoon; good evening; evenin; evening all; greetings; welcome; yo; wotcha; hello old fruit; what-ho; nice to see you; so we meet again; top o ´ the morning (to you); nice weather for ducks; you ´re looking well; hello, young sir; how ´s it going; haven ´t seen you for ages; hi-´lo; how do you do; howdeedoo; howdy; how are you; how´re ye; glad to meet you;  

GOODBYE
bye; goodnight; bye-bye; bye-zee-bye; bye-zee-byes; see you; see you later; see you around; be seeing you; farewell; adieu; so long; cheerio; cheers; ciao; au´voir; orrov-worrer; orrov-worrer till tomorrer; auf wiedersehen pet; adios; hasta la vista; all the best; mind how you go; take care; have a nice day; ta-ta; ta-rar; so long; pip pip; toodaloo; toodle pip old fruit; on yer bike; fare thee well and be back soon; well that ´s me away; wish me luck as you wave me goodbye; we ´ll meet again; I shall say zis only wernce; AND PROBABLY LOTS MORE BUT I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT. Here ´s mud in your eye.

Les

7 Jun 2017     

TatianaKazak
Belarus

8 Jun 2017     

TatianaKazak
Belarus

/I also have " Goodbye" and some other cards. But I can ´t load them as the size is too big. If you are interested I can do it via e-mail.

8 Jun 2017     

Jayho
Australia

In the land downunder ...

hello - hi - hiya - heeey - howdy - hi, how are you today? - hi, how are you going? - greetings - what´s up (by the younger generation)  Please note, G´day is seen as typical Australian but in fact it is not commonly used anymore, and is really an expression found in the outback much more than in the city

bye - see you later - see ya (you) -  have a nice day - catch you later

Cheers

Jayho 

8 Jun 2017     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Thank you so much for your replies. 
Have a good day ;-) 

8 Jun 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Jayho,

Does The Man On The Flying Trapeze shout to his wife?

"I´ll catch you later!"

Les 

9 Jun 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Haha Les

She says, "Swing by whenever you like!" Wink

Cheers

Jayho 

9 Jun 2017     

1    2    Next >