Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Using will be    

Using will be

mahlove
Japan

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Japanese like me gets confused especially when a native speaker tells me that I �m wrong. Again thank you so much

20 Jun 2017     

douglas
United States

Sorry, Mahlove, but your assistant appears to be wrong.  Perhaps he was in a multi-cultural environment where others used the phrase improperly and it became a "norm" (even though it is currrently wrong).  Such situations are the reason languages are so dynamic.

Here in Germany the average level of English is pretty high (especially among younger people), but you constantly hear people say "We �ll meet us at five oclock." It �s a direct translation from German that has become so common nobody questions it anymore.

Cheers,
Douglas

21 Jun 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Douglas,

I agree with you!

A very intelligent friend of mine, a German, (a Teacher of English), persists in telling me, a native English person speaking English for 87 years, that I am incorrect in saying: "If I went to Germany, I would ...".

He insists that the sentence should be: "If I would go to Germany, I would ...".

I am NOT telling a JOKE.This is a TRUE!

Les Douglas. 

21 Jun 2017     

douglas
United States

@Les--

21 Jun 2017     

yanogator
United States

To make it worse, Les, the German grammar parallels the English in your sentence, causing your friend to make even less sense. I �m wondering if your friend would also insist on "When I will go to Germany, I will ...".

Bruce 

21 Jun 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Les, 87? It �s not possible and I �ve met you! If you would have told me that, I would not have believed you. And there �s another ghastly misuse of language!
PS if anyone is wondering, it should be �if you had told me....�
Les, you are an inspiration to us.

22 Jun 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Thank you! Lynne. It �s very nice of you ... but I �m no different to millions of other teachers.

Bruce, the odd thing is, that whenever I speak to my friend in German, he corrects my grammar, even the tiniest word-endings. I �m constantly jumping from one language to another, so it �s no surprise that I make mistakes. But normally, my students are happy that they�ve met a Teacher who can explain something in THEIR language.

Language is for communication ... for passing messages ... it �s not a stick to give punishment! At least, that �s my philosophy.

Les Douglas 

22 Jun 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

And for those of you who think that I �ve been a Teacher and I have spoken languages all of my life, (apart from French at school), it �s not true.

I was a professionally qualified Quantity Surveyor, from the age of 16, dealing with every aspect of Building Construction. I was made redundant at 51.

I had already taught myself German during my two years National Service in Germany, with HM Royal Artillery. So, to keep my sanity, I began teaching myself more languages. I moved on to University level and began learning about Teaching.

At one time, I had FIVE jobs, earning some money from each one of them.

I was an ESOL teacher with private students; a Tour Guide, speaking Dutch, French, and German; an Accountant, travelling all over the UK; a Magician, Balloon Sculptor, and Juggler, performing in a Greek restaurant; and an Operatic Singer in theatres, etc.

At the same time, I cared for my handicapped wife, and put my two children through University. Plus other things.

I became a full-time ESOL Teacher at College at the age of 70. Over the years, I had taken 13 Courses with the Open University, and at 80, studying everything at home, I achieved my Master of Education.

At 81, I was made redundant again.

To be perfectly honest, I �m getting sick of this redundancy thing!!!

I now teach as a voluntary Teacher in two asylum-seeker classes, with many nationalities; I have 6 private students, all different languages; and I teach on Skype. So, you can see that I am quite busy.

When I left school at 16, I said to the Head Teacher that I would like to be a teacher.

Her reply?

"Oh, no, Douglas! You could never be a Teacher!

Les Douglas 

22 Jun 2017     

maryse pey�
France

Les Les... Tss Tss Tss... You need some private lessons, don �t you ? I know some excellent teachers on this site ! You will be able to choose...

Joke apart I do wish to be as enthusiastic and as positive - with just the necessary part of humor - as you are. Lynne is right : you are an example of dynamic man !

You are our magician and... a super hero very humble and clear-minded (if I dare say).

Hugs to you.

Maryse.

22 Jun 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This is one of my wss and as you know, I am a shameless self-publicist, so I �m not going to miss an opportunity like this! 

22 Jun 2017     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >