Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Check my sentences    

Check my sentences

Mohamed Hamed
Egypt

Check my sentences

Hello dear colleagues, 
Please, check these sentences and tell me if there are any mistakes:
1. You can buy bread at the bakery.
2. You can buy bread from the baker.

3. There are salad and bread.
4. There is salad and bread.
5. There is a boy and two girls. 

Thanks in advance 

15 Jul 2017      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

1. "You can buy bread at the bakery". Correct
However, you could also say: "You can buy bread from the bakery". You can buy things �at � a shop, or �from � a shop.

2. "You can buy bread from the baker". Correct
However, you can not, (grammatically), say: "You can buy bread at the baker". You can buy things �from � a person, not �at � a person.

3. "There are salad and bread". Incorrect. Both objects, �salad � and �bread � are singular. "There is salad. There is bread" The verb �are � is plural, but the nearest noun is �salad �, which is singular, (even though it has several ingredients). Verb and noun must agree.

4."There is salad and bread". Correct
Both objects are singular. "There is salad and there is bread" The verb �is �, (singular), is nearest to �salad � (singular), so verb and noun are in agreement.

5. "There is a boy and two girls". Correct
"There is a boy. There are two girls" = "There is a boy and two girls". The verb �is �, (singular), is nearest to �boy �, (singular), so verb and noun are in agreement.

5. If the two clauses had been reversed, with   �girls � followed by �boy� the sentence would become:
"There are two girls and a boy". Correct. 
"There are two girls. There is a boy" = "There are two girls and a boy". The verb �are �, (plural), is nearest to �girls �, (plural), so verb and noun are in agreement.

Les Douglas 

16 Jul 2017     

Mohamed Hamed
Egypt

Thank you very much. You are always helpful.

16 Jul 2017     

kohai
Latvia

Excellent explanations, dear Les! Thank you very much!

16 Jul 2017