Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What ´s the difference in meaning ?    

What ´s the difference in meaning ?

normandey
Egypt

What ´s the difference in meaning ?

Hi everybody.

I ´d like to know what ´s the difference between " award" and " prize" 
Secondly, What ´s the difference between " counsellor " and  " social worker " ?
Thanks very much. 

19 Jul 2017      

douglas
United States

As I see it:

An award is something that has been earned, it is presented to you as recognition for something you have done

A prize  is something you win either through chance (e.g. lottery) or some type of competition (e.g. a Hot Dog eating contest).

Counselor is a wider term than social worker; a social worker is a counselor focused on bettering the community.

20 Jul 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

I think a prize can also be given for something you do well. Cambridge dictionary:

Prize: something valuable, such as an amount of money, that is given to someone who succeeds in a competition or game or that is given to someone as a reward for doing very good work:

The critics � prize for best film was won by Marc Abbott for "Belly Laugh".
I won a prize in the raffle.
The first (= main) prize is a week for two in Miami.
The prize money for winning Wimbledon has been increased by 12.5 per cent.

something important and valuable that is difficult to achieve or get:

The prize would be her hand in marriage.

20 Jul 2017     

yanogator
United States

That ´s interesting, Minka, because Cambridge says "for doing very good work", but lists only examples of competitions or games. Generally an award is what is given as a reward for doing very good work.

Bruce 

21 Jul 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

There is this raffle as an example of winning a prize in a game, but prize for the best film or winning Wimbledon seem very much different to me. And there is also (not listed here) Pulitzer prize. 

I do realize prize  is more frequently used for games and such, but not always, I guess. 

22 Jul 2017     

joannajs
Poland

counsellor may also be a lawyer :-)

22 Jul 2017     

yanogator
United States

Minka,
"Best film" and Wimbledon are both competitions, so they are like a game in that sense. However, you are right about the Pulitzer Prize, and now I think of the Nobel Prize. They are a competition of sorts, but Cambridge is right that they are awarded for doing very good work.
I stand corrected.  :)

Bruce 

22 Jul 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think we are agreed that there is a certain amount of encroachment from the word ´prize � into the rightful territory of the word ´award �. I won the English prize at school, which was really an award. Heady days, never to be repeated, alas.  
Award is a verb, too, btw. It is recognition for effort or achievement, whereas a prize can be arbitrary, or as the result of a competition as Douglas points out.  Just my two penn´orth!

Social worker is a much broader role than counsellor. A counsellor counsels, whereas a social worker´s caseload may include many different types of case with different needs. Generally, the patient makes an appointment with the counsellor, for a session of up to one hour per week, although of course it may vary. In many instances, the social worker will have to take the initiative with the people s/he is dealing with. They have a boss to whom they refer difficult cases or ask for advice. 

23 Jul 2017