Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Inspiration     

Inspiration

spinney
United Kingdom

Inspiration

Hello people!

I’m looking for some inspiration from you all. I have this little beauty below which I would like to use for a business English workshop on teamwork and leadership but I was thinking a normal cloze exercise would be a tad too boring. Does anybody have any ideas?

Dale

There was once a team of four individuals called respectively: Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about this, because it was Everybody’s job.

Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realised that Everybody wouldn’t do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

16 Aug 2017      

Antonio Oliver
Spain

How about re-arrangin paragraphs in the right order (though it needs some more connectors added in):

As a consequence, Somebody got angry about this, because it was Everybody’s job.

One day, There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that

Somebody would do it.

Being not too hard to do, Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

That was because Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realised that Everybody wouldn’t do it.

There was once a team of four individuals called respectively: Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.

or smt like that 

16 Aug 2017     

Jayho
Australia

I can see a fantabulous role play/performance happening with this, with a narrator - it would be fun. The natural born actors in your class would make it something that nobody will forget, that everybody will remember.

Another slant on this is:

Who wants Change?

Once there were four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, Nobody who wanted change.

So, Everybody said "I want change".

Somebody said "If only anybody would start to change, I will join."

But nobody said "I will change."

Finally Everybody stayed the same, blaming Somebody for waiting for Anybody to start changing. So, nobody changed.

16 Aug 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dale,

Have 16 students divided up into 4 Teams, of 4 Team Members each, standing in a straight line behind 4 desks marked EVERYBODY, SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, and NOBODY, respectively.

Each of the 4 desks has its own Push-button, Buzzer, and Light, (or 4 Hand-bells, Whistles, Horns, Hammers, Flags, or whatever you can manufacture), on the desk.

The Assistant Teacher, (or the Best Reader), is the Narrator, and reads a long Story, similar to your Story, (at normal reading speed), which contains the 4 Words repeated several times, (say, 8 times for EACH Word).

The Teacher is the Adjudicator, in front of the Teams.

Whenever a Team Member hears his/her Word, he/she immediately presses the Buzzer, which temporarily lights the Light, and then quickly GOES TO THE BACK OF THE LINE.

The next Team Member immediately takes over on the Buzzer, and so on, without pause.

If a Team Member misses a �buzz�, he/she is out.

If a Team Member delays too long before making a �buzz�, he/she is out.

If a Team Member �buzzes� incorrectly, he/she is out.

When any of these 3 occur, the Story stops, the Team Member returns to the class, and then the Story is re-started at the same point, with a smaller Team.

If ALL the 4 Team Members are eliminated during the Story, no further �buzzes� will be needed for that Word.

At the end of the Story, the Team with the most Members remaining, is the Winner.

Good Luck,

Les Douglas

16 Aug 2017     

douglas
United States

It reeks of role play to me.

17 Aug 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

All brilliant ideas! I may have to try them all. Thank you one and all!

18 Aug 2017     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

I �ve just seen your post and it reminded me of something I had seen recently; I think it can be something to add to your point. Here it is.  :-)

24 Aug 2017