Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What Foods Are Your Country Known for?    

What Foods Are Your Country Known for?

Zora
Canada

What Foods Are Your Country Known for?

Hi everyone.

I am curious about something. What foods, dishes, products or meals are countries famous for?

For example: In Canada, two of the things we have are Maple syrup and a dish called, "poutine" - it �s fried potatoes with fresh cheese curds (similar to fresh cheese chunks) and hot gravy on top, sounds weird but totally delicious! 

Quick edit:

I just remembered this: Out west, in my leg of the Canadian woods, we have something called, "Prairie Oysters". Anybody want to take a stab at what they are? 

19 Aug 2017      

manonski (f)
Canada

And the best poutines are made in Qu�bec! 😀

19 Aug 2017     

veronicaargelia1006
El Salvador

In El Salvador we have a variety of typical food, but we are famous for PUPUSAS
It is a thick corn or rice tortilla stuffed with different ingredients such as cheese, beans, pork, which are like the traditional flavors.
Recently  people is preparing pupusas with other ingridients like chicken, shrimps, mushrooms, garlic, etc. 

19 Aug 2017     

Zora
Canada

Sounds delicious Veronica! 

And of course the best poutines are from Quebec, it was invented there - and the French know their food!  

19 Aug 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In the north of England, we like tatey ash - which is probably short for potato hash. It consists of tateys (potatoes, of course!), onions, carrots and corned beef. You just boil it all up in a pan and then put dumplings on top. We call this panacalty when baked in the oven. They say we Brits aren �t up there with the international best when it comes to cuisine, but this just shows how wrong that is.  

20 Aug 2017     

valodra
France

Quite right, dear Cunliffe  
I just love ..pub food !!! but never tasted your Tatey ash....yummy!
Today �s special : mussels with cream and baked apples....and French fries. We do need some calories, as far as the weather is concerned !!
Have a nice Sunday :-)
Val 
edit @Zora : Poutine ??? Never heard of it, but sounds delicious :-))

20 Aug 2017     

s.lefevre
Brazil

One of Brazilians most known dish is "feijoada" – rice, black beans, dried meat, sausages, cabbage, and oranges. People drink beer or caipirinha.

20 Aug 2017     

Maria Linz
Brazil

Another great food from Brazil (especially in the South, where I live, is "churrasco", which is barbecue, but made from the best beef cuts, seasoned only with salt and barbecued on coal. Hmmm, just the thought of it makes my mouth to water!

20 Aug 2017     

MoodyMoody
United States

Since you �re Canadian, you �re probably familiar with many American foods. I �ll propose barbecue as an assortment of American foods. I say "assortment" because even in my own state of North Carolina, there are three distinct styles of pulled pork barbecue: mustard sauce in the east, vinegar-red pepper sauce in the central part, and tomato-based in the west. Go to Memphis or Kansas City, and it �s barbecued pork ribs with rubs and sauce. In Alabama, the pulled pork is often served with mayonnaise. And in Texas, barbecue is often a beef brisket. We Americans could argue about barbecue for hours!

20 Aug 2017     

melanie64
United Kingdom

�Toad in the hole � is a favourite in the UK, in which no toads have been harmed!  It �s made by cooking pork sausages in the oven with a batter made from eggs, flour and milk aka Yorkshire pudding, and baked in the oven - Delicious!

Never heard of tatey ash @cunliffe, but sounds rather good - what are we southerners missing?  

20 Aug 2017     

EstherLee76
Peru

Peru has "ceviche".  Raw fish marinated in lime juice. Served with chili peppers, raw onions, corn on the cob, yucca and sweet potatoes.  DELICIOSO!

20 Aug 2017     

1    2    3    Next >