Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Confused about these two sentences    

Confused about these two sentences

chnabmourad
Tunisia

Confused about these two sentences

would you please tell me which sentence is the correct one 

Why Justin had to drop out of school ?

Why had Justin to drop out of school ? 

22 Aug 2017      

mfraczek
France

Hello,
Because you are using Had to + Verb, I would say: Why did Justin have to drop out of school? (I think you can �t use Had as an auxiliary in your sentence since it isn �t in the past perfect).
Hope it helps.
Murielle 

22 Aug 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with mfraczek, but �Why had Justin to drop out of school? � is fine. The other option is not. 

22 Aug 2017     

Schantony
China

Agree with Mfraczek. Why did Justin have to drop out of school? 

22 Aug 2017     

omaxios
Morocco

Neither is correct! 

Why Justin had to drop out of school ?

This interrogative statement requires an auxilary or helping verb at the beginning of the sentence to make it sound a question. So the alternative is   �Why DID Justin have to drop out of school?"

Why had Justin to drop out of school ?
 Sounds like a logical question but it �s grammatically incorrect in terms of using �had � as a helping verb. FYI, "HAD TO" can never function as an auxilary or helping verb by any means, even when it �s used with another main verb, its structure is often followed with infinitive verb form (TO) and they �re inseparable. Then what must be the accurate use is � �Why Did Justin HAVE TO drop out of school?" or   � � Why HAD Justin HAD TO drop out of school � �. The problem is the same as this mistake: � � was Supposed Justin TO Drop out school? � �

I hope I �ve made it clear.

22 Aug 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s not the most usual usage, but it �s fine (the second one). Take a look at this.

22 Aug 2017     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

QASI

Question word, axuiliary, subject, infinitive

Where | do | you | live
Why | had | Justin | to drop
or 
 Why | did | Justin | have to drop 

22 Aug 2017