Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How should poetry be taught at Primary School Level? Should questions be given at the Primary Level for assessing poetry?    

How should poetry be taught at Primary School Level? Should questions be given at the Primary Level for assessing poetry?

avanti1484
India

How should poetry be taught at Primary School Level? Should questions be given at the Primary Level for assessing poetry?

Hi everyone,
These particular questions have been troubling me since many months. i have gone through a lot of research but there is no definite answer. Could you answer them for me? Thanks in Advance.
Avanti 

31 Aug 2017      

douglas
United States

Just my perspective:

We �re talking 12 years olds, at this age they are discovering and exploring music lyrics, which are also a form of poetry. I would think waking their interest with exploartory questions (e.g What could they mean by this?, Why do you think they would say something like that? Could this maybe have two meanings?). My fear is, by making them identify iambic pentameter and explain why Shakespeare so loved to use it, they would start seeing poetry as just another grammar lesson. "Poetry is art to be experienced and lived"--this is the feeling we should be trying to instill in them, not "oh look it is a sonnet because it has 14 lines in iambic penatmeter."

It �s probably just a more personal thing, but cutting art into mechanics or telling children at such a young age that only  certain interpretations of a work are correct  seems destructive to me.

Cheers,
Douglas

1 Sep 2017