Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Tone in job advertisements    

Tone in job advertisements

Jayho
Australia

Tone in job advertisements

Hi everyone

I �m desperately seeking some information about tone specifically in job advertisements. I �ve searched here and on the web to no avail.   Do you know of anything?

Also, if you were asked the difference between formal and business tone in a job ad, what would you say?

It is for job advertisements, and not the usual advertisements. 

Cheers

Jayho 

6 Nov 2017      

douglas
United States

formal vs business tone: haven �t really heard of a distinction between the two, but I have seen trends in English that this could explain. I �d be interested in hearing about what you find.

I recently had a discussion with my boss (Human Resources Manager) about tone in our job advertisements, so you are definitely on to something. I  researched it a (very) little bit, but didn �t have any real luck in finding anything useful.

There seems to be trend getting away from the traditional formats, but there doesn �t seem to be much agreement on how.  There also seems to be a strong correlation to local (national/cultural) preferences in what I �ve seen.

Cheers,
Douglas

7 Nov 2017     

maryse pey�
France

http://blog.proven.com/job-advertisements#

Might this link be of some help ?

Hugs.

Maryse. 

7 Nov 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Thanks Maryse, but that�s not quite what I�m after.  The reading (assessment) task that I have been given to use requires students to identify the tone of a job advertisement and then to provide the evidence of that tone (adjectives used). I am seeking reference/teaching material to teach tone in job ads (which is a bit difficult because traditional job ads are quite different to other ads). In terms of the business v formal tone, the assessment question asks whether the tone of the job ad is informal, formal or business. I would like to know the difference between formal and business in reference to job ads (to me, they are the same).

Douglas, there is definitely a change in trend, and I think it�s because with online advertising, employers can say, and ask, for a lot more online than in the old newspaper formats. Some jobs ads are a piece of art, others are a source of entertainment, and all to attract the right applicant. Tone is definitely becoming an "in-thing" and I have certainly seen some �way out there� ads.

Cheers

Jayho 

P.S. Here is an example of the changing face of job ads

7 Nov 2017     

maryse pey�
France

Oups ! Not easy indeed what you are asked !

Do you think there might be some clues in one of these links ?

Hugs.

7 Nov 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Maryse

I give you 10/10 for your dedication to the cause 

The last link has a reference to tone,without actually saying that, in it �s direction towards facebook ads.  I do have reference material on these sorts of ads, just not specifically job ads. The other two links are excellent links but do not really provide what I �m after. In all honesty, I just don �t think there �s anything out there (yet) because jobs ads still very much follow a traditional format. I shall keep searching ... or just create my own material.

Cheers

Jayho 

9 Nov 2017