Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What do the highlighted words mean in this context?    

What do the highlighted words mean in this context?

mari_18cf
Brazil

You say you never compromise With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
He’s not selling any alibis
As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
And say, “Do you want to make a deal?” 

From "like a rolling stone" song.

Thanks in advance 

24 Nov 2017      

spinney
United Kingdom

The mysterious tramp is an outsider/outlaw ( homeless person, itinerant) who lives on the fringes of society and who refuses to apologize for who he is or to make excuses (an alibi being some kind of proof of somebody �s innocence).
However, this is all pretty subjective but, judging by the language and context, that �s what I think Bob is trying to say in this song. 
Wonderful song, by the way. 

24 Nov 2017     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Who knows really? I �ve read so many different interpretations... From Jesus Christ to drug addiction!
Great song, I agree

24 Nov 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree. At the end of the day, it �s poetry. 

25 Nov 2017     

Jayho
Australia

It�s a great song!

The reference to deal immediately implies drugs being sold by a tramp but this site makes a reference to religion. This website makes a reference to a relationship. This website  talks about the mystery tramp being Bob himself. Your guess is as good as any and only Bob himself knows the true meaning. Will he ever reveal it?

Cheers

Jayho 

25 Nov 2017     

mari_18cf
Brazil

thanks for the answers

27 Nov 2017