Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > wish    

wish

tommy1996
Vietnam

wish

how can I rewrite these sentences

1) I    I can’t understand what the English teacher says.

→I wish __________________________________________________________________________

2)      The  streets in our city are narrow and crowded, so we can’t move quickly.

→We wish ……………………………………………………………..

4 Dec 2017      

mari_18cf
Brazil

1. I wish I could understand what the English teacher says.

2. We wish the streets in our city were wide and spacious, so we could move quickly. 

4 Dec 2017     

tommy1996
Vietnam

I wonder if we can  use:
1.I wish I could understand what the English teacher said.
2. We wish the streets in our city were wide and spacious so that we could move quickly.
please help me. thanks

4 Dec 2017     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Tommy.
No, "I wish I could understand what the English teacher said" would be the rewritten form of "I can�t understand what the English teacher said".

Yes, you can use either "so" or "so that". Also, because "spacious" isn �t the opposite of "crowded", I might say, "We wish the streets in our city weren �t so narrow and crowded, so (that) we could move quickly."

Bruce 

4 Dec 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

How about

I wish the streets in our city were wider and not so crowded.

4 Dec 2017     

tommy1996
Vietnam

Bruce ! I don �t see what you talked abouth the irst one. please tell me again.thanks

4 Dec 2017     

yanogator
United States

I �m glad you asked, Tommy, because on re-reading it, I find that I made a mistake. I �ve changed it, so here is what I intended to say:

Hi, Tommy.
No, "I wish I could understand what the English teacher said" would be the rewritten form of "I can´t understand what the English teacher said".
Yes, you can use either "so" or "so that". Also, because "spacious" isn ´t the opposite of "crowded", I might say, "We wish the streets in our city weren ´t so narrow and crowded, so (that) we could move quickly."
Bruce

5 Dec 2017     

kwsp
United States

When you say, "I can �t understand what the teacher says," what you are actually saying is, "I habitually can �t understand what the teacher says," therefore you need the present tense, "I wish I could (habitually) understand what the teacher says." If you say, "I wish I could understand what the teacher said," it sounds like you are talking about just one time in the past that you didn �t understand what the teacher said.

5 Dec 2017